Cheap Energy supplier

nizam

Novice Member
hi

I am on British Gas standared tariff for both Gas and electricity BG is ripping me off on their energy prices my quarterly bill for gas is 280 and electricity is 214, so i am looking for a cheap energy supplier for both gas and electricity ,I live in HP13 POSTCODE AREA please some one help me to choose a right supplier .......................:lease:

John

do you know what your actual usage is, rather than what BG are telling you ?
there are a number of switchng sites. Uswitch probably been the best know. The Money Saving Expert site has loads of info too.
Once you have your usage, have a look to see what the others charge per unit. I ind this a more reasonable way of comparison. The cheaper the unit price the better the deal. ofcourse there are always a few curve balls thrown in line standing charge or first 200 units at x and the rest at y

IronGiant

Me neither, just signed up :thumbsup:

Navvie

I only heard about it on Saturday as I was listening to Radio4. Thought it would be of interest to everyone here.

I'm signed up, and I'm slowing getting everyone I know to sign up.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I would say check your insulation, if it isn't up to spec you lose money every year.
Oh, I've signed up as well.

MikeTV

I've just switched from southern electric, to Co-operative Energy. I'm hopefull I'll save about £100 per year, and they claim to supply low carbon electricity and gas to households. And across their business, they only use renewable energy.

And...I'll be entitled to dividends! So I'd encourage others to do the same.

Last edited:

Confucius

Happy with EDF, particularly as circa 2/3 of their electricity is nuclear.

My annual usage is ~5050 kW electricity and ~13000 kW Gas, it costs ~£86 pcm by fixed direct debit on their Fixed [email protected] v2 tariff.

Modern 4 bed detached house, gas c/h, h/w & hob, all the rest is electric.

Last edited:

p1tse

I'm on BG standard tariff for elec and gas and looking to switch

will try Big switch link above and Uswitch

I pay quarterly via actuals

how does fixed monthly rates work if you go over and under etc.?

IronGiant

They estimate a monthly rate based on your previous year's use and charge you that. If you are over or under they will re-asess after a year. This can result in massive over or under payments, neither of which are very desirable if you are trying to budget carefully, but they don't seem much bothered.

p1tse

my gas seems to have shot through the roof last quarter bill and no doubt again next quarter, but previous years it's been reasonable and like paying what i use not just fixed rates

oii30

Standard Member
Check the equipment and use more green ones, and no doubt the gas is getting more and more expensive.

Confucius

how does fixed monthly rates work if you go over and under etc.?

EDF assess energy usage monthly, assuming one provides them with monthly readings.

Since November my DDs have been (£): 99, 99, 99, 92, 87, 77, 77, 77, 77.

My account has been in debit to the tune of £9 each month, although it is certain to be in credit when I provide a reading this Sunday. I would expect EDF to do as they have done regularly and drop July's DD to around £68.

Over a year it should average out to ~£86 pcm, although that will depend on what tariff I switch to after my fixed price contract ends in September.

Last edited:

IronGiant

That's odd, because I do the same and the monthly DD doesn't seem to vary from month to month...

Confucius

If you are in credit have you tried contacting them and suggesting they alter the monthly amount?

I haven't done it for an energy supplier but I did it for Anglian Water. Based on an estimated reading (jeez, how hard could it be to send someone round to read everyone's water meters - all the houses where I live have them and are supplied by Anglian) they had upped my DD from £57 to £74 pcm. I rang them with a correct reading and suggested they drop the amount to £65 (which would have been 'accurate') and they agreed.

IronGiant

I'll check and if I am I will, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom