Cheap electronics in the US?

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Heading to New York on Friday and a friend was telling me that I can pick up some crazy cheap electronics in the US. I-Pads, iPhones etc.

He was recommending it as a way of making a few quid for Christmas, bring some in and selling them, but that's a bit on the illegal side so I'm not interested.

However I wouldn't say no to a new phone, or maybe a laptop as mine is pretty hammered.

Anyone got experience of this? Any idea where to shop?

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
My experience of electronics in NY was be prepared to haggle! Its not like over here where there are chains, you have an occasional Radio Shack but most are independents.

qwerty321

One thing with a laptop would be that some of the keys might not be as you expect them. Mainly it's just the secondary symbol over the number 2 and where the @ symbol is, usually switched around. Also on a UK keyboard, there is a £ sign on there which doesn't exist on a US keyboard.

Although, then again I don't know what the standard keyboard is like in Ireland so it might not be an issue for you.

Also check the warranty conditions, what would happen if you needed to get the item repaired. Some items might be covered under an international warranty. Best to be sure though. :)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
My experience of electronics in NY was be prepared to haggle! Its not like over here where there are chains, you have an occasional Radio Shack but most are independents.

and that's why I love Tottenham Court Road (in London), I don't think I have ever paid full retail, I've always haggled down (and they, as in the retailers, expect that will happen as well)

baldrick

Novice Member
I'm not sure about Apple devices? The prices are a bit cheaper, mainly due to the difference between VAT and the State-by-State sales taxes over here (20% vs 3 - 7%).

dc8900

Distinguished Member
One thing with a laptop would be that some of the keys might not be as you expect them. Mainly it's just the secondary symbol over the number 2 and where the @ symbol is, usually switched around. Also on a UK keyboard, there is a £ sign on there which doesn't exist on a US keyboard.

on US keyboards where the £ sign would be on ours it has the # key instead, in fact, here is a pic to compare:

UK layout:
attachment.php

Irish layout:
attachment.php

US layout:
attachment.php

In regards to prices, always remember to add on 8.875% (combined sales tax rate taking into account the state and city rate) to the final price which is never included in headline prices.

Attachments

• 400px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    400px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 400px-KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg.png
    400px-KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 800px-KB_Windows_Ireland.svg.png
    800px-KB_Windows_Ireland.svg.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 185

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Been eying up a Dell laptop, 2.1 Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, 640GB harddrive $420 on jr.com

I had budgeted £450 for a desktop PC here when we move house but I might snap up a laptop like that instead.

tonyrees687

Just do it save a lot of money. My best mate works for virgin atlantic is allways coming home with stuff cheaper. She just sold her I pad to get funds for Ipad2 which she can get for $400 apparently.

Boris Blank

I'm just back from Florida and the prices in the US are pretty good, eg IPad2 was 399US dollars, about £255 in our money plus sales tax of about 7% so its quite a saving. You can take back £350 worth of tax free goods with no customs duty. Of course you are free to exceed that limit at your own risk :smashin:

Best Buy in the US can provide international warranties on all electrical goods for a reasonable fee - just ask when buying. Takes the worry out of the equation. I took out a two year warranty for my Kindle Firefor just 20 dollars!

Best deal I saw was a nice (although not perfect but still yummy) 80 inch HDTV for around £2500 ! Really, really mouth wateringly eye openingly nice.

Have fun!

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I'm just back from Florida and the prices in the US are pretty good, eg IPad2 was 399US dollars, about £255 in our money plus sales tax of about 7% so its quite a saving. You can take back £350 worth of tax free goods with no customs duty.

HMRC allow £390 coming back to the UK :)

although OP, you live in the Republic right? So I'm assuming you will have to abide by the Revenue's Customs Service limits?

EDIT: the allowance is €430 for those living in ROI http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

Last edited:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
DrPhil said:
Been eying up a Dell laptop, 2.1 Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, 640GB harddrive $420 on jr.com

I had budgeted £450 for a desktop PC here when we move house but I might snap up a laptop like that instead.

Assuming you're not adding sales tax to that $420, thats around £270.
Not bad, but not fantastic either.
I've seen toshiba 4Gb/640gb laptops here for £349.
£79 isn't enough of a saving for me to waste time going shopping over there, or to put up with a funny keyboard.

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:
Assuming you're not adding sales tax to that $420, thats around £270.
Not bad, but not fantastic either.
I've seen toshiba 4Gb/640gb laptops here for £349.
£79 isn't enough of a saving for me to waste time going shopping over there.

It's only worth paying that £400 plane ticket if you are there anyway; I doubt most would cross the pond purely to get a cheap kindle....

FZR400RRSP

Banned
dc8900 said:
It's only worth paying that £400 plane ticket if you are there anyway; I doubt most would cross the pond purely to get a cheap kindle....

You've misunderstood me....I think.
I didn't mean paying to go over there shopping.
I meant its not enough of a saving to warrant wasting my time whilst there going shopping, when I could be doing other things.

rousetafarian

Also be mindful of US adaptors/plugs on certain electrical items

dc8900

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:
You've misunderstood me....I think.
I didn't mean paying to go over there shopping.
I meant its not enough of a saving to warrant wasting my time whilst there going shopping, when I could be doing other things.

My bad, but yeah I agree with on that extent in that you don't the shopping to consume the whole of your holiday!

qwerty321

rousetafarian said:
Also be mindful of US adaptors/plugs on certain electrical items

Not really a huge issue these days as most devices have an interchangeable plug. Probably need to factor in a few quid for that.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Also bear in mind warranty.

It's quite common for warranty on electronics to be region locked.

So for example your camera might develop a fault after a few months, you send it to the service centre in Milton Keynes and it gets returned to you saying that this is a US camera and you need to send it to Michigan.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sonic67

Banned
Also make sure the goods work on the UK 50Hz supply etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom