1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap DVDs from Asia - Any good?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by work_with_me_ba, May 10, 2005.

1. work_with_me_ba

work_with_me_ba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mod Edit: Link to pirate DVD site removed.

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I'd personally steer clear - I'd have to say 100% Pirate - due clearly to these 2 points (that are from their website).

Some of our cover art mentions 2 DISCs. We do NOT ship 2 disc sets. We only send the disc with the movie. If it is important for you to receive all of the special features with your movie, we recommend that you shop at some of the more expensive alternatives.

4. Special Features: Most of our DVD-9 DVDs contain the special features associated with your title. However, the DVD-9 format has some space limitations on the disk itself, and all special features may not be present depending on the title.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    these will be pirate dvd's, why not shop somewhere like cd-wow or dvdsoon where you can get proper dvds at cheap prices, rather than waste your money on this tat?

4. venablesphil

venablesphil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick to what you know, this site looks distinctly dodgy, you dont even get the box!!!

5. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Hah! Just goes to show what utter cr*p you get with foreign pirate dvds. My mother-in-law lives in Indonesia and used to bring dvds back with her when she came to visit. She would always insist they were genuine dvds bought from a reputable shop out there but I have always proved her wrong.

Examples:

AI
    (She brought this 1 month BEFORE the world premiere!) It was missing the 1st 5-10 mins of film with no features whatsoever and VERY dodgy sound.:mad:

Big Fish
    Lovely menu, but you cannot actually access the special features section on the menu (probably because there aren't any!) And most importantly, the last 10-15 mins of the F***ing film was missing:mad:

Entrapment
    Again, no special features and end of film missing (Why is it always the films with a twist ending or quick climatic ending that has this problem!!):mad:

Spongebob Movie
    The cover says it is the movie. What the disc contains is a sring of episodes from the TV series.:mad:

Incredibles
    No features whatsoever. Very poor colour, sound (the box says DTS but the sound is hardly mono!):mad:

Pinnochio
    The dvd ends just as the famous final song 'wish upon a star' starts it's first opening verse for F*** sake!!!:mad:

Oh, I could go on!!! I keep telling her not to bother bringing them but would she listen. It is worth noting that I have since bought ALL (except spongebob, as it's not out yet) the above AGAIN because of the quality of the pirate copies. Just goes to show.:rolleyes:

6. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing that annoys me most about the pirate DVD's I've seen. Is the missing DTS sound track.

7. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Missing:

DTS
    Stereo
    Even a clear Mono sound sometimes :mad:

8. work_with_me_ba

work_with_me_ba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all appologies to the mods. for the infringement with the website. Felt it would be difficult to ask people about it without them seeing for themselves.

Many thanks guys for your responses! Think I will stick to CDWOW! Didn't realise that a) that is was a pirate shop or more importantly b) that they don't actually have decent soundtracks or all of the flim!

Once again cheers for your responses!

WWMB