Cheap DVD player with optical input

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gwakinshaw, Sep 10, 2012.

1. gwakinshaw

gwakinshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - does anyone know of a cheap DVD player with a digital optical or hdmi input?

I have an Acer Aspire Revo nettop which I use as a networked pc to stream to the TV in the bedroom - but it doesn't have a dvd player in it. I also have some Bose speakers wired through the walls and nicely plastered over which provide great sound which I was using with an old 5.1 system so I don't want a whole new 5.1 system. I'd like to connect the Acer which has USB, HDMI and digital optical outs to a dvd player so I can use that to run the bose speakers whether for the dvd player or streamed movies.

Any ideas?

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    The only DVD players you'll find with optical or HDMI inputs are those that you get as part of an all-in-one home cinema system, i.e a combined DVD player/amplifier + a full set of 5.1 speakers.

Even if you were able to acquire such a player on its own without the speakers, you have the problem of compatibility with your existing Bose speakers. I don't know what model they are, but if they're meant to be connected to a standalone amplifier, they're impedance rating may be too high for an all-in-one type amplifier.

What were you using to power the Bose speakers before?