Cheap Dolby Atmos friendly spinner

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently own the Oppo 93 and will be investing in a 4k spinner when they're released. In the mean time though, I'm looking to get a cheapy spinner that has no issues with Dolby Atmos-Don't really want to spend over £50-£70..any suggestions chaps?

Any player that can bitstream Dolby TrueHD, which is most, will stream Atmos. The decoding is done in the receiver.

The pioneer 170 is under a hundred and a decent spinner. The SonyS4200 is under 40 quid now and has good apps. I've got both, though don't use them anymore, and they will be fine.

Any player that can bitstream Dolby TrueHD, which is most, will stream Atmos. The decoding is done in the receiver.

The pioneer 170 is under a hundred and a decent spinner. The SonyS4200 is under 40 quid now and has good apps. I've got both, though don't use them anymore, and they will be fine.

Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated. Apparently the Sony Ps4 can bitstream without issues, so I'm going to give that a whirl. If not, I'll just pick the Sony spinner up...it's only for atmos blus, so doesn't have to be anything spectacular.

Yeah you'll be fine with your ps4

Dolby Developer

One over the Xbone which can't do it.

Incidentally why don't you use the oppo?

Yeah you'll be fine with your ps4

Dolby Developer

One over the Xbone which can't do it.

Incidentally why don't you use the oppo?

Unfortunately the 'any player that can bitstream truehd' isn't completely correct. Although the Oppo can bitstream TrueHd, with atmos discs, there's an issue with the meta data and the Mediatek chip in the 93 which basically means it won't play consistently..so atmos discs are out :(

Wow, a top the range player as well. Similar problem with my Denon 3313 which is also based around a mediatek chip. It won't play mkv files with a Dolby TrueHD track over the network whereas the aforementioned cheap pioneer and a mede8er player will. So much for pricey universals playing anything you throw at them!

Wow, a top the range player as well. Similar problem with my Denon 3313. It won't play mkv files with a Dolby TrueHD track over the network whereas the aforementioned cheap pioneer and a mede8er player will. So much for pricey universals playing anything you throw at them!

I've had the Oppo a while now and really had my money's worth out of it with the multi region mod and the subtitle shift from when I used a lens. Nothing lasts for ever and atmos on blu is more a pitstop till the 4k spinners are out...then I'll be purchasing one of those.

Fair enough. I used to have an oppo 103D but it didn't do much for me that cheaper players couldn't apart from the build. I actually prefer the build of the Denon that replaced it but it is frustrating when expensive players marketed as universal can't achieve what far cheaper players can.

Anyway you'll be fine with your ps4 for now for Atmos.

Fair enough. I used to have an oppo 103D but it didn't do much for me that cheaper players couldn't apart from the build. I actually prefer the build of the Denon that replaced it but it is frustrating when expensive players marketed as universal can't achieve what far cheaper players can.

Anyway you'll be fine with your ps4 for now for Atmos.

My first player was the Denon 2500.. It wasn't cheap, but it was built like a tank. Marketed as a transport, it was feature light, but was good for its time.

The D obviously had the Darbee processing..but that can be had stand alone.

Cheers for the advice mate :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom