1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap deinterlacer any good?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gingercat, Aug 11, 2003.

1. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I found this cheap (£36.05) deinterlacer at Lik Sang. The spec actually sounds quite good:

Anyone think it's worth getting for hooking up my digibox to my AE100?

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Only way to tell would be to get one & compare, but there's a good chance that the de-interlacer in your AE100 would be just as good...

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, these cheap deinterlacers aren't any good. To be honest, they are not even deinterlacing - they are line doubling. Essentially they take each interlaced frame and double it into one frame. This frame is then outputted to the VGA output.

To the naked eye, you get a hi-res image on-screen, but it looks flickery and really bad. You are not getting a proper deinterlacer here that is turning two interlaced frames into one proper frame. I used one of these at work on a PSone (supposedly the highest quality device too - about £150) and the picture was AWFUL...

Avoid.

4. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The term 'line-doubling' is a mis-nomer and very much mis-understood by most who use it.

In essence, a de-interlacer converts interlaced video to progressive video, if that is what this cheap product does then it is still valid to call it a de-interlacer regardless of the method used to achieve the progressive video output.

Doing de-interlacing well is not necessarily expensive, a very good de-interlacing IC can be purchased in quantity by manufacturers for around $20 each and not much else is required in hardware terms to go with it. Many home cinema video processing systems are very much over priced, although or course, it is still true that you get what you pay for for the most part at the moment, but one day someone will bring out a damned fine de-interlacer scaler with DVI etc for about £199 or less. Or am I still dreaming!

5. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    From their description of the product, it isn't simply a line-doubler, as it refers to "3D motion adaptdive de-interlacing" which is found in the more expensive de-interlacers - it's this feature (and the noise-reduction) I thought may make it worth while for me.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    For the money you can't lose. unless it's broken.

I have no doubt it's better than my Video Cheese Box, which is pretty poor. (but then it's relativley ancient tech).

7. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well, I've just ordered one, so I'll let you know how it fares when it arrives...

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cool. Look forward to some piccies of it at work.

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got one of these premium vga boxes for my PAL gamecube. The quality through composite (and you can't do 60hz) was awful so I bought an official nintendo component cable which delivers interlaced component to the adapter. The quality is improved, but still dodgy. Flicker is a real pain at time. It would be nice if there was something like this that upconverts 50hz to 100hz and 60hz to 120hz and gives you a decent quality pic.

I wanted a cheap, but half decent way to play my cube games on my vga monitor.

Any suggestions for better models. Or do I have to go for an iscan pro ultra.

10. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well, in the end I got the same model as Zoolap (before reading his mini-review).

Basically, the quality is pretty much the same as you'll obtain by running your sources through a ProV box i.e. not all that great for LCD. The handy thing (for me) is that it means I can feed my Freeview digibox to my PJ with less interference along the way (as suffered by long composite leads).

To sum up, if you were thinking of getting a ProV just as a means of converting from composite (or other)->VGA, then one of these boxes will do just as good a job for much less money (and no tuner), but don't expect miracles!