Cheap computer speakers

stevos

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Is there any decent entry level computer speakers on the market for under the £100 mark. Something to play background music without sounding too flat and dull.

I am tempted by the AudioEngine A2+, but after upgrading my monitor and desk, I am trying to avoid spending too much more money.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
These are a lot of speaker for your hundred quid sir.

And genuine active speakers too.

I’d be astonished if you can do better for this kind of cash.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
These are worth a look as well. JVC XS-D629BM 2.0 Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Walnut

Don't use the bluetooth - it's terrible, as it's only A2DP not APTX, but the analogue and USB inputs are good. I have had a pair for the last few months and am very happy with them. Plenty of oomph and enough bass to keep me happy. They have tone controls on the back as well. I run them with an old QED uPlay APTX Bluetooth receiver, streaming from my phone or laptop, but they were initially setup running analogue from my laptop and I really couldn't fault them.

password1

Distinguished Member
Do you have space for an amp and small speakers?

A used budget amp and a pair of speakers can be bought for £100 or less and will probably sound better than some computer speakers. Something like a Cambridge Audio A1 partnered with Mission m70 or Q Acoustics 2010i or 2020i

What is your source? Is it the 3.5mm stereo out of the sound card or.optical.or.aome.sort.of digital out? Of it's digital, you could buy a cheap dac.

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'll second Edifier Speakers.

Amazon-UK -Search - Edifier Speakers

Better if your budget is about £250 or more, but there are some decent Edifier's under £100.

Amazon product

If you want solid bass but to use less space on your desktop, then at about £250 this system is certainly worth a look -

Amazon product

The price shown in the S350 Thumbnail is wrong, the speakers are about £250/set.

Some of the Edifier Speaker come with a Remote Control, which can be handy.

Amazon product

If you are willing to bump the price, then consider the Edifier S1000Pro, S2000Pro, and though getting expensive here, the S3000Pro.

Amazon product

Edifier S2000pro Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field Active Studio Monitor Speaker with Wireless and Optical Input: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Edifier S3000PRO Hi Res Audio Active 2.0 Wireless Monitor Speakers with Bluetooth: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

The R1280T have Two Aux inputs, so you can have more than one device connected. They also have Volume, Bass, and Treble controls. So of the higher models have DACs and Bluetooth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

stevos

Distinguished Member
Thanks, will check them out.

i have an old pair of Quad 11l active, which sound great but pain in the backside having to turn them on and off each time i use them and i seem to get some form of RF noise through them meaning their sound floor is raised.

What i want is something that has a digital input and can be left constantly on.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The RF noise is probably functional earth noise and just needs a ground loop isolator to fix. You could also use an offboard DAC if you felt the analogue output on your PC was not as good as it could be. Try this: iFi Audio ZEN DAC

Quite honestly none of the £100ish speakers will get close to the Quads in terms of quality. Probably money better spent making them more usable!

stevos

Distinguished Member
Already connected via an external dac and tried installing a ground loop, but the hum is still there. I can reduce it by careful cable management but keeps coming back. I had considered buying better power cables to see if it they were poorly designed but seems unlikely.

Amazon product

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Hmm, that's disappointing. Could well be mains cable borne. You can try some RF Suppression cores but I find their effect quite minimal in most cases.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Already connected via an external dac and tried installing a ground loop, but the hum is still there. I can reduce it by careful cable management but keeps coming back. I had considered buying better power cables to see if it they were poorly designed but seems unlikely.

Amazon product

Might be worth tightening the Transformers?

stevos

Distinguished Member
They are getting old, i have had them for years and they have come with me during 2 international moves, probably just showing their age.

Wouldn't know how to tighten a transformer.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Just remove the amp plates.

There’ll be a transformer in there with a bolt through the middle.

Tighten that (without overdoing it) and lob the plates back on to the speaker.

it’s worth a shot as it only take ten minutes and as you say, they are old, so it’s not impossible for a transformer to become slightly loose.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Just remove the amp plates.

There’ll be a transformer in there with a bolt through the middle.

Tighten that (without overdoing it) and lob the plates back on to the speaker.

it’s worth a shot as it only take ten minutes and as you say, they are old, so it’s not impossible for a transformer to become slightly loose.

Ps, if one humming speaker is slightly louder than the other then it’s definitely worth investigating the transformers.

stevos

Distinguished Member
I think it was the cables, plugging them into the wall with much shorter kettle leads and the hum had pretty much gone.

However they are way too big for my desk, i want something a lot smaller.

stevos

Distinguished Member
It's going to blow the budget, but a pair of Ruark MR1s would fit you a treat. MR1 Bluetooth Speaker System | Ruark Audio

Small, great sounding (If a little limited in terms of bass in larger rooms, but fine on a desk) and with a digital optical input and excellent quality Bluetooth.

Thanks, but a bit more than i want to pay. Really just use them for background music whilst working or gaming when i can't be bothered to put on headphones.

stevos

Distinguished Member
I have been using my monitor speakers which just sound way too flat. Also using a denon bluetooth speaker but whilst it sounds a lot better than my monitor its a tad too small to put out a sound stage (really really clear its coming from the tiny device) and so a little distracting

dogfonos

How small do you want to go? You mention the Audioengine A2+ so I guess the answer is tiny. Any speaker with a 3" or smaller bass/mid driver doesn't cover enough of the music frequency spectrum (missing 2 to 3 octaves out of a possible 10) and is surely just a satellite, therefore, ideally needs a sub.

What i want is something that has a digital input
Already connected via an external dac

Are you ditching the external DAC? Although more and more budget powered speakers are adding a digital input, they're still in the minority so you are limiting your options. Why not continue to use the external DAC?

Some of the suggestions below have digital inputs and all have bass/mid drivers of approx. 3" to 4" diameter - so very small speakers. Many manufacturers of the 3" driver speakers also sell 4" driver versions of these speakers too.

M-Audio Studiophile AV30 Studio Monitors (available elsewhere for under £80 in UK).

Behringer Media 40USB (a genuine active speaker pair)

Fostex PM03D Studio Monitors White (very narrow)

...and my choice would be this very well-reviewed "multi-media" speaker (NB reviewed at £100, now £55):

Amazon product

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
A bit of advice? I'd still be tempted to get an external DAC - there are lots out there that won't break the bank - you'll defo find it an improvement with petty much any speakers that you get, to be honest. My son is gaming on his PC with a modest set of desktop speakers, I've added the ZEN DAC into the mix and it has made a difference. I guess it just depends on how important this improvement is or, if you are using them just for background music, whether you're okay as you are with different speakers.

stevos

Distinguished Member
I have a Fiio and honestly can't tell any difference using it with my headphones, including my monoprice plannar magnetic. I think it just comes down to how bad your motherboard soundcard is.

Cribbster

Following a thread like this year or so ago I bought a pair of these: Edifier BT speakers

Are they super hifi quality? No, but then I am only using them in my office for playing music from my laptop while I am working. However, they do sound very nicely balanced, open and you can get a sense of the music. I really do like them. The convenience of Bluetooth as well just makes them so easy to use. In an ideal world I would probably like a bit more bass depth which I suspect you can get from a slightly bigger pair. However, for the money, they are great. Even for speakers like this you can spend forever going round the houses and umming and ahhing over the "best" option.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022