Cheap Component Switch Box

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jon Weaver, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +752
    My video games normally live upstairs, connected to my 32" Bravia which has several spare inputs.

However, my Wii has found a home downstairs connected to my 42" Panasonic LCD (PW4) which only has a few inputs.

I am currently using Composite, but would like to upgrade to Component, but to do so, I need to get a 'splitter' so that I can share the input with my DVD player!

Looking around, I am surprised how expensive Component splitters are, especially considering that SCART ones are next to nothing and many of them switch 21 pins, where as Component would only be 10 pins.

I am tempted to make up a 'lead' to convert the Component/Audio connections into a SCART socket, so that I could then use a scart splitter. But this is a fair amount of work, and I would rather buy something off the shelf.

Since this is only temporary, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, so has anyone come up with a cheaper solution to this.

If my understanding of a splitter is correct, its passive (in that its just a switch) and there are no electrionics involved.. So, I am thinking of trying to find an 'audio splitter' which may do the job??

But to save me the time, I hope that someone can point me in the direction of an alternative.

My fingers are crossed, otherwise I am going to have to live with Composite, which looks SHOCKING on a large Plasma!

Jon

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33143&criteria=A/V%20SPLITTERS &doy=2m1

Whilst its designed for Composite & Audio as long as there are no 'electronics' inside, its just going to switch what ever is coming in on one phono connector onto another.

The only down side would be that you would need to press 2 bottons on the front to switch the input over.. But then it gives me an idea..

I rarely use the Audio from my DVD on the Plasma.. So, I could just leave the Wii audio permenantly connected and could then just switch over the Component video. If I dod this, I could just get a Composite/Audio switcher and then use the 3 Phono connectors (which are intended for Audio and Video) for the 3xComponent inputs instead?

I look forwards to peoples thoughts

Jon

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hello Jon Weaver

Just re read your original post - ignore my info on the splitter.

A passive YPbPr or RGB switch may be OK - though lots of folk have found they will degrade the signal on the way through the switch due to the poor quality of the very low cost parts used.

JS Technology have a very decent quality automatic 2x1 YPbPr switch for 55.00 GBP.

Joe

4. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I was thinking of getting the JS Tech switch but then someone brought this to my attention.

Skytronic Component Switch

It's about £25, which seems to be reasonable. But I can't see anything on the forum about it so I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on it.

I was going to start a thread of my own, but thought this might help you out Jon Weaver. If it's any good of course.

If your interested I'll dig out the link to the place that sold it for £25.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Interesting.. can you dig out the link for it.. For £25, I might be tempted to give it a try

Cheers

Jon

6. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
  7. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Jon

Please report back here, may go for one myself?

:thumbsup:

8. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yeah same here, I'm getting tired of having to swap between my DVD player and my Wii.

9. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    @Jon

Please report back here, may go for one myself?

Regards Tulloch

10. MonkeyMonster

MonkeyMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please do report back asap, as impending wii component cable will cause much mayhem. At 25quid, it seems an absolute bargain as compared to the 60-80 range i've been finding.

Iain

11. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
  12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hello all

Its certainly a unique device - 'Fully HD and HDCP Compatible - Resolutions to 1080p' :)

Joe

13. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I didn't think Component could transmit HDCP.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hi steggy

As I said a quite 'unique' feature on an Analogue Video Switch :)

Joe

15. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yeah I kinda thought you might of been being sarcastic.

It doesnt mention anywhere that it cures cancer, which usually comes as standard on a component switch box, tut tut.

16. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    the problem with using standard composite switchers is that the audio phonos are rated at a different impedence to the composite video (and what you'd want for component). So you may get bad results

I used an svideo switcher, then got some little leads from keene.co.uk that splits the svideo connector into two phonos.
    [​IMG]
    This then gives you three phonots for component (two from svideo and one composite) and still leaves the audio phonos free for your audio switching. Plus they are all the right impedence

17. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

18. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Maplins do a Bandridge one for £80. I found the very same item on ebay for £39.99. See here

I can vouch its a goodun! I'm running a 360, wii & a DVD Player through it with no problems.

:thumbsup:

19. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398

paul does it do auto switching or is it manual only

20. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398

21. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i am running it thru the 50 inch sammy plasma 7hq i believe, just finished setting up the harmony to control everything now (finally) its working better then i could have thought (when compared to the 360 control center).

22. nuxx53

nuxx53
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ paul...

or does anyone else have any experience of the bandridge box?

23. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Manual only mate, not for the lazy couch potato !

:devil:

24. nuxx53

nuxx53
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I was tempted by the cheap price and auto-switching to go for the Skytronic box - and I can only say I wish I hadn't bothered.

First impressions were not good. On getting the unit out of the box, the first thing I noticed was how light it was. Not light in a good way, light in a 'free out of a Christmas cracker way'. On tilting the unit over, there was a noticeable rattling of something loose inside. Not a great start.

Still, I plugged my components into it (360, Wii, 42PX60) and plugged in the puny power cable to fire it up.

The first thing I tested was the auto-switching. I must admit, this works very well. As soon as you turn on a source, it switches instantly. Hmm, I thought, maybe this won't be so bad after all.

But then I started looking at the picture. I tested this with the Caves episode of Planet Earth and my first thoughts were that something didn't look quite right. Thinking I was maybe being too picky, I got the missus down to help me with a vision test. First, I tried it with the DVD player going through the switcher - secondly with the DVD plugged directly into the TV.

The loss in picture quality is so marked that even she could see it. Although the clarity is still OK, colours are completely washed out - it's like watching a circa 1970s analogue broadcast. Take the switch box out of the equation and - bingo! - everything's colourful, vibrant and 2007 again.

The result is that the box is going back to the shop and I'm back to ferreting around the back of the TV each time I want to change source.

I suppose one day I will learn that you really do get what you pay for. If you need a component switch box, then you've already spent a fair wedge on your set-up, so it seems silly to hobble it with a cheap switch box that is going to affect everything you watch. Personally, I'm now going to wait until I have the money to upgrade my AV amp to one with video switching.

25. MonkeyMonster

MonkeyMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm back again....

So there seems to be no good answer for a well priced and reliable 3 or more port component switching box? Looking over the various threads the 2 input market would appear to be won by the js one, however i have 3 inputs and it needs to be remote based due to hip surgery making swapping them over a right pain (no pun intended)

I want quality - I didn't buy some Mark Grant cables (and they are truly ace) to plug em into a mouse powered bit of co-ax.

I did see this here but there have been no comments on its abilities - the price would suggest it could do its job well but... well you know it doesn't always mean that.

Ideas gentlemen please?

Iain

26. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hello MonkeyMonster

Have a look at the Zektor HDS4.1 - you wont find any flaws in its tech spec or performance and whilst its not an 'automatic' switch it can be programmed to learn code from pretty much any IR device so its relatively straightforward to have it 'auto' switch to your preferred Input.

UK price is 199.95 GBP - see http://www.zektor.com/hds41/index.html

Joe

27. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The alternative to that is to daisy chain two JS Tech one's. But that does add in a purchase of a further component cable.

28. MonkeyMonster

MonkeyMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had seen that zektor when looking a while back, but 200 was/is quite a lot.... Figures it would be good though. Cheers to steggy as well - I had pondered the daisy chaining method but figured it wouldn't like if two devices were on and it was unable to figure which one to switch to - denon amp/dvd player running sound (but connected for when viewing dvd's) and wii/ps2 playing.

Likely it will be the zektor - 200 does seem fair when I've spent a lot on the other pieces and cables...

Guess might need some more cables from Mr Grant as well.....

Much Appreciated chaps, once again to the rescue!
    Iain