1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Cheap DVd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by par151, Apr 14, 2003.

1. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a really cheap Dvd player for my daughter to buy herself, saw a Techniko or similiar at tesco's for £60.

Anyone bought one? Are they any good? or are there any other offers out there worth loking at.

At the moment her telly deos not have a scart socket but new telly coming soon.

2. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one any suggestions?

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyperfi do a Very descent Wharfedale DV750 for just £50. Five Star What Hi-Fi Product.

4. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!

6. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try checking out Richer Sounds web site they have some good bargins, including the Sony DVPNS305 for £79.95 :D

7. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dabs often have some cheapies!!!!! As do all the supermarkets try your local Aldi Lidel stores

9. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, there is so much out there......

My daughter has taken a fancy to the sony picot, and it is available at a local London Camrea exchange for £99

Anyone any knowledge of the Picot and is £99 cheap?

10. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That does sound quite a good price. The only downside to the Picot is that it only offers Composite or S Video output and no true RGB Scart output. RGB in my experience, has always given the best picture quality (except of course for component).

The unit itself is quite a stylish little player in terms of its design (nice change from all the slimline units available). I have brought many Sony products in the past including TV, PC Monitor, Camcorder etc. and have always been very pleased with sony as a brand. My sister actually had one of these players for christmas and has been very pleased with it. However due to no RGB Scart output, picture quality is not as crisp as if using RGB.

I suppose it really depends on what your daughter is looking for from a DVD player. If it is stylish looks and a reliable brand name then look no further. But if picture quality is important then I would recommend looking elsewhere.

An idea would be to see what returns policy the shop operates, therefore allowing you to try the player and return it for a refund if not happy.

Hope this helps;)

Steve

11. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, she is going to use it in her bedroom on a smallish Tv so as long as the picture is reasonable thats all the matters.

I will check the returns policy, I use the shop a lot and they quite often have these specials offers on all sorts of electronics as well as cameras.

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend Asda for a good returns policy, you can take it back, for whatever reason, any time up to 100 days! You could start at the bottom priced one (£59.99) and see if it suits. I tried the Pacific 1002 and the RGB picture was excellent.

DaveP

13. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help.

14. par151

par151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For an update......
    Thanks numbskull, my kids have now bought a mirror 110 each for there bedrooms.

So far it has played DVD, cd-R music and CD-r photos..
    for the money has some good features.

Once again many thanks.