1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mevetts, May 17, 2004.

1. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi forum,

This may seem a little sinful to all those dedicated AV enthusiasts out there, but I wanted to make a request for info.

I am painfully saving for a set of 5.1 speakers, but being a student who is completely self-sufficient, it is proving difficult to get the pennies put away.

I got a DVD player around 6 months ago and have currently got the sound running through the hi-fi. Initially, this was great having only been used to my 4:3! However, I have a burning desire to get some 5.1 going on!

I am not expecting top quality, but acceptable is a must. Does anyone have any suggestions for the cheapest 5.1 set-up they know of? I often see Richer Sounds selling off pairs of speakers cheaply, could I use any of these? I do not have the room for floor standers, so standmount are a must.

My DVD player is a Pannie S75, so can I use its connections to drive the speakers until I get my 'proper' amp + speaker set-up when I get into the world of work.

Any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks,

Mark.

2. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just been looking at Richer Sounds website and they have got these set going for a song, but are they any good?

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=1306

Pioneer SSP40 (Speaker Package)
    Eltax Alpha 5.1 (Speaker Package)
    Yamaha NSP100 (Speaker Package)
    Panasonic SBTP10 (Speaker Package)

I just don't know! :rolleyes:

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  4. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Granted, this system would be better, but it is also double the price of the Pannie speaker set-up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on sub £100 5.1 set-ups! I know it is a tall order, but I'm not expecting anything mind blowing, just an improvement on my current arrangement.

Thanks,

Mark.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You might try looking for second hand although getting a matching st will be tricky. I think I would look on Ebay for a couple pairs of Tannoy M1's and an MC. You may get that lot for around £100 and it'll probably be better than any cheap new set. Maybe for the fronts you want something a bit bigger and there are loads of bigger standmounts about second hand for £30 odd.

6. jediwenger

jediwenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mevettes
    I had a thread on the receiver board titled ‘Surround Sound for Gypsies’, not to be offensive or anything but to extol the virtues of a very cheap set up I bought. I basically bought a Sony STRDE495 receiver for £100 from Richer Sounds, now at £119, and a set of the Celestion AVP5 speakers for £19.99, again from Richer Sounds. I can only say that for the money I am incredibly impressed with this system. OK it’s not the best but for the money it is far superior to what I had before, basically a very similar set-up to yourself.
    OK, this is probably a few quid more than you wanted to spend and there is no sub but it is still impressive and when the money is available I will be able to upgrade a bit at a time. Next on my list is actually a decent set of speakers, then another receiver and then maybe the sub. Once these have been purchased I will have a more than acceptable (in my view) system for the bedroom.

7. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice.

I have given the second hand route an option, but I am weary of speakers that have been given a good work out and have perhaps lost their edge, so to speak.

Would individual speakers, such as the Tannoys, be able to be driven by my player directly, to avoid the cost of a purchasing an amp/rec?

Cheers.

8. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    To the best of my knowledge, as a Pannie 75 owner also, it does not have any internal amplification to allow it to drive the speakers. It has a six channel output only. So you would need to factor in an amp. If it helps, a year or so ago a friend based a cheap system around a Sony receiver (STB490, I think) and a Yamaha 5.1 speaker set, and is very pleased with the results. At least the equal of a £300 all-in-one system.

9. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for something a little more space saving. I do not have the luxury of a huge amount of floor space in the lounge.

I have realised that it is probably worth saving up slowly for something worthwhile having realised that I would require an amp to power the buggers.

If my player (Pannie S75) has got built in decoders, should I get an amp with or without decoders?

If I am looking to save up around £300 - £500 for a set of speakers, any suggestions on a suitable amp?

If I was to get together £200 - £300 for amp, front l/r, centre and sub, could anyone suggest a set-up?

Many thanks,

Mark.