Cheap cd player or cd transport + Dac or Denon 1600NE or similar

Charles44

Novice Member
I would appreciate some advice over the choice of a replacement cd player, I am thinking of a Cambridge Audio CXC or a Nad C538 ( as a cd transport) plus an Audiolab M Dac or something along the lines of the Denon dcd 1600 NE or Musical Fidelity M2sCd.
I have a Naim SN2 amp but because of previous bad experiences I will not consider the Naim cd player, also I am not keen on the idea of a slot loading player.

gibbsy

I've got the Denon DCD 2500 NE, the big brother of the 1600 NE that you are thinking of. I've had plenty of CD players over the last few years and also have a Marantz sa8005 as well as a Marantz cd6006, the Denon is by far the best performer. It's capable of getting every bit of information off CDs and is a stella performer with stereo SACD.

I don't know if this offer is still on but the 2500 NE is an absolute steal at £999.

password1

Distinguished Member
It would also depend if you want the flexibility and upgradability.

with a cd player you're stuck if one part fails. you can't upgrade the dac at a later date.. you'll need to replace the whole unit.

if the transport fails, you can.just replace the transport with another low cost transport.

A vintage sony cd player will be bullet proof and the tray are very smooth and reliable.

Daniel 70

I am going to be contrary. A Panasonic Blu-ray player at 90 quid ..model UB 159 ..a model that Currys is getting rid of ,. Use the coaxial digital into the DAC in your AVR. If you want and have them available, you can plug a USB drive with FLAC into the same device. If your AVR has a HDMI, it can use a audio out only from the player. You might like to plug a small TV or monitor into it for visual confirmation of the tracks . Oh and you can also use it for 4K 3D Blu ray ,if the fancy takes.
My policy is to rip my CDs to FLAC files and play them off the USB drive ..so that option remauns open.

password1

Distinguished Member
I am going to be contrary. A Panasonic Blu-ray player at 90 quid ..model UB 159 ..a model that Currys is getting rid of ,. Use the coaxial digital into the DAC in your AVR. If you want and have them available, you can plug a USB drive with FLAC into the same device. If your AVR has a HDMI, it can use a audio out only from the player. You might like to plug a small TV or monitor into it for visual confirmation of the tracks . Oh and you can also use it for 4K 3D Blu ray ,if the fancy takes.
My policy is to rip my CDs to FLAC files and play them off the USB drive ..so that option remauns open.
There are plenty of old Sony cd players for around £100 or less. The lesser models can be had for under £50 and I bet will outlast that Panasonic, Marantz cd6006 and all the latest cambridge audio cd players.

My sony cd player is about 30 years old and has been faultless outlasting all the other much more modern cd players.

Daniel 70

There are plenty of old Sony cd players for around £100 or less. The lesser models can be had for under £50 and I bet will outlast that Panasonic, Marantz cd6006 and all the latest cambridge audio cd players.

My sony cd player is about 30 years old and has been faultless outlasting all the other much more modern cd players.
That is as maybe. But they will not play FLAC. It is also the case that modern electronics is better than 1980 s electronics. Now I am a fan of Sony, but Panasonic is up there with them. The only problem with any optical disc player not called Sony is that they tend not to do SACDs.

password1

Distinguished Member
That is as maybe. But they will not play FLAC. It is also the case that modern electronics is better than 1980 s electronics. Now I am a fan of Sony, but Panasonic is up there with them. The only problem with any optical disc player not called Sony is that they tend not to do SACDs.
I have owned modern cd players and vintage Sony cd players. Sony sounds better in my systems, more reliable. For cd playback the 2 main things I look for is sound quality and reliability. I compared my marantz cd6005 which i believe is similar to the cd6006 and my vintage Sony wins. If you can find a Sony es player they are something special.

If there is CD player I would choose to bet to play 24/7 for months or years I would choose a well looked after serviced £100 vintage Sony to do it rather than a brand new £200 player.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom