Cheap Camcorder with Passthrough

sep8001

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi

What is the cheapest camcorder I can buy that has passthrough to copy my old vhs-c tapes to my mac?

I borrowed a mates DCR TRV17E thinking it would work, but as it is the Europe model passthrough has been disabled.

Thank you

Can't think of any DV camcorder models still on the market - with or without pass through. And there's no Firewire on any current models these days.
You could look to buy secondhand, but how easy it would be to find a model with pass through these days?...

Probably better to go for something like this: ADVC-55 Analogue to DV Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (probably available cheaper than that if you Google it a bit!)

Good quality conversion to DV, and easy to sell on Ebay when you've finished with it!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks. I am looking for a very cheap option.

At present I can copy the tapes to my mini dv and then transfer to the mac but was hoping for a quick, cheap transfer option.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thank you both. That looks like a good option. Will look into them.

Bought an easy cap device from Amazon that did not work. Could not see the device. Just bought a used canon mv730i and that works a treat.

Thanks

Bought an easy cap device from Amazon that did not work. Could not see the device. Just bought a used canon mv730i and that works a treat.
Sorry to hear the EZCAP.TV USB 2.0 video and game capture devices didn't work.
I've never tried one myself, but the originals (there are a lot of fakes about!) tend to get OK results.... clearly not always!

Can I ask roughly how much you paid for the MV730i ?......

I think the easy cap I bought from Amazon marketplace is a fake, the camcorder was £28 delivered with all the bits and 4 dv tapes and is like in mint condition.

the camcorder was £28 delivered with all the bits and 4 dv tapes and is like in mint condition.

That's an excellent find! ..... Unfortunately, buying tape camcorders on Ebay can be a bit of a lottery (as is buying anything on Ebay:) ) but as you have shown, it can be a very cost effective way finding equipment to convert analogue video into DV.
Folk do need to be wary though.......my own old Canon MV500 does not allow pass through. The MV500i does. With the Canon range from around that time, that letter 'i' made all the difference!
I'm sure it's the same with other manufacturers. In this situation, you do need to be sure the model you're looking at can actually do pass through.....

Agree. A friend has a Sony one which online said does passthrough however as it is the European model passthrough is locked down.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom