Cheap but good DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a cheap 2nd DVD player for my bedroom, I want decent sound quality straight from the tv, I won't be using any surround sound equipment (that's staying downstairs with my FMJ DV27). I have sort of decided on the Toshiba SD220E as my friend has one and because it has an 'enhanced audio mode' option it sounds great just coming out of the tv, I know some DVD players sound awful cos you have to turn the sound up full blast. I was just wondering if the SD220 can play CDRW's as well as CDR's, or are there any other cheapish DVD players that can play CDRW's and sound good just coming out of the tv speakers. Oh and it has to be multiregion, otherwise I would just make do with my Playstaion 2 for now.

Thanks,
    Tracey

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the 220, you wont be disapointed(it'll blow the ps2 out the water).

Check out www.vcdhelp.com for details on whether or not it can play cdr/rw. Sorry I can't remember of hand.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I think you're right, I've been told it doesn't play CDRW but I can live with that.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Can't comment on the CDRW issue, but that aside I don't think you'll be dissapointed by the Tosh 220. Got one for my father for Xmas and he is very happy with it.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any chance of increasing the stereo phono output/SCART audio out? Perhaps with a little off-board unit?

Say I'm using the TV speakers and watching a DVD- I have to increase to 85% TV volume.

If I then change to a terrastial channel- it blares out of the speakers!!

[EDIT] Tracy, were you asking about the Toshiba 42PW23P a bit ago? (I did a search as well).. anyway I've bought one, so ask any Q's...

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Even cheaper is the Tosh 120E which I have just bought as a second machine from RS for £99

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think you mean the 220e don't you? Which is just a silver 220.
    £99 at RS.

8. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey

I've just bought the 220e from Richer Sounds over lunch. I have the box sitting next to me and that claims to play both CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Can't confirm that in practice just yet I'm afraid.

ferris57 - I think petrolhead is right. Richer Sounds sell a 120e for £20 less than the 220e. I don't know what the differences are though (perhaps I should have checked before buying the 220e!).

Regards

Richard

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No No The 220E is £119 the 120E is £99

10. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry petrolhead, wasn't trying to be a smart arse. Just that the web site is only advertising the 220e standard at £99, and the 220e multiregion for £119. No mention of a 120e- So thought you meant the standard 220e.
    My mistake.

11. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I should have said MR.

120E MR is not on the web site but at the shops if u ask :)

12. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the 220E is fantastic...I have one...and it does play CDRWS :D

13. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a multi-region Toshiba SD2109,got it very cheap £60.Why so cheap ,well I got it without the manual and remote,but I have a learning universal remote.So I went into the local electronics shop asked to borrow a Toshiba DVD remote and relayed all the the info over to my remote end of story.Well not quite, I was wondering due to the fact that I have no manual, what the "Enhanced audio mode " does{in what way does it enhance the audio} ,also there is a Karoke voice mode and a PCB mode????Also is it best to set the DRC mode to on or off?I'm using a component hook up to my Tosh T.V and basically I love it,great colour too ,a kind of brushed silver/gold very nice.Anyways get the Toshiba 220e you can't go wrong.So if anyone can help me answer those few queries mentioned above I would be very appreciative.Thanks in advance.:smoke:

14. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    head over to the tosh site and you can download all the manuals.

15. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Just a word of warning when buying a Tosh from RS. You will find the manual is missing. The packging, for some reason :confused: has been opened, WHY??, and the manual removed.

Spoke to the manager of the Newcastle branch and he informed me that they were inported from Europe. For the 120E the manual is probable no big deal but 7thguest bought the 220 from RS with the same problem - no manual.

Just thought I would share this.

16. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Petrolhead

As mentioned above, I bought a Tosh 220e from RS (Milton Keynes branch) a couple of days ago.

The manual was in the box when I picked it up and there was no obvious signs of the box having already been opened (although presumably this must have been done at some point to make it MR).

Luck of the draw perhaps?

Regards

Richard