1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Booze from France

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by higenbs1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know that this is in no way AV related, but this does seem to be the source of all knowledge.

I've got an impending wedding on the horizon, and we are doing the booze ourselves, due to the horrendously high prices that most of the local bar-hire companies charge.

I took a trip round Makro last night, and to be honest, once you've added VAT on, they're pretty much the same prices as Tesco. There were a few bargains, but spirits seem to be about the same.

Has anyone any experience of Tesco Calais, and whether it's worth a trip to France. For instance, a litre bottle of Smirnoff over here is about £15. Is it significantly cheaper in France to warrant the cost/effort of going. This is bearing in mind we're hoping to have a choice of about 8 spirits, pus beer, wine, champagne for around 100 people

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to Cite Europe and shop in Carrefour you will certainly find cheap beer and wine. Stella is about £5 for 24 bottles and there's often a buy 5 get 6th free. Spirits are slightly cheaper. Never shopped in Tesco in Calais but between the two you should find what you need. Whether it's worth it depends on getting a cheap crossing, a quick look gives daytrips from about £26. It sounds like you're going to buy quite a lot so the savings should mount up.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We did this for our wedding 2 years ago, saved a huge load. My workmate went to France on a booze cruise over the weekend to Calais and went to a supermarket called Auchan. He says they have 1.5l Smirnoff for £8 = £5.33 per litre, a whole 2/3 discount over the UK.

Richie.

4. sbheaven

sbheaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Majestic Wine have an on-line sitefor the French superstore in France! very cheap & you can pre book on-line or over the phone. If you order over £300 you get a free car ferry thrown in!

Thats what I got last year just before xmas? need to check if they are still doing the free ferry. At least you can see the prices in advance.

The Auchan store was also cheap.

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you drive about an hour from calais to belgium,beer very cheap there.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Tesco's in Calais isnt the cheapest of places (but much cheaper than the UK) but is very easy to find.

If you go a little further out and away from the normal booze cruise hypermarkets the prices do tend to drop considerably.

I did the same for a friends 21st b'day bash a few years ago and just got some silly deal with the Sun newspaper of collecting voutchers and then the ferry only cost £5 or so - not good sailing times but worked fine for the dash & grab I was planning

8. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    If it's wine you want, the French supermarkets have loads of stuff you wouldn't get over here (VdT, VdP & AOC).
    A lot of it is not very good (which is why it doesn't reach our shores), but you can't beat the value.
    - If you know your stuff you'll find some real quality at a bargain price - go for cotes du rhone (Gigondas, Lirac etc) and VdP from the South.
    Burgundy is often overpriced and varies in quality, Bordeaux is worthwhile if you spend the money on it.

as it's for a wedding, make sure you try it before you bulk buy, you want to be happy with what you're serving.

9. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :thumbsup: Thanks everyone. I've got some useful info now. Looks like it's worth the trip