cheap blu-ray

TimmyBee86

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im quite new to the world of blu-ray, so i might need some help here.

Am looking to get a blu-ray player, and as far as i can tell, i just need a cheap one.

My criteria are: its cheap, it'll work with my system (more info on that below) and preferably its from Richer Sounds

I say RS, because that is where i am looking to get my TV from, and am hoping to get a bit of a bundle.

TV will be the Panasonic 42ST30 (2011 active 3D plasma, for those who dont know)
I have an old 5.1 setup, running on a ~6 yr old yamaha amp. No HDMI inputs.

I have already been told that its not ideal to run a blu-ray player on optical audio, but i have no wish to upgrate to 7.1, so as fari as im aware, that should be good enough? therefore i dont need a player with dual HDMIs?
Also, the TV is a smart TV, so i dont care much for smart features on my player. On that note, i dont really need internet for it at all, except for the odd firmware update, which i wouldnt mind moving the player to somewhere where it can be plugged into ethernet. Or if you can upload firmware by USB flash, even better.

So. i think thats all the info you need. What do you suggest? i have been looking at the Panny 110, but even this has features that i dont really need. Is there an alternative 3D player that doesnt have internet gimmicks?

I have an old 5.1 setup, running on a ~6 yr old yamaha amp. No HDMI inputs.

I have already been told that its not ideal to run a blu-ray player on optical audio, but i have no wish to upgrate to 7.1, so as fari as im aware, that should be good enough? therefore i dont need a player with dual HDMIs?
Correct. I'm in a similar boat as you - I have my player hooked up via optical to a 6+ year old Sony amp. It's only not ideal from a sound quality perspective: only the lossy core DD/DTS soundtrack is played rather than the full-blown TrueHD or DTS-MA audio, but it still does the job. If I upgrade to a better amp (and speakers), I'd get one that allows HDMI 1.4 with passthrough while the amp is in standby.
So. i think thats all the info you need. What do you suggest? i have been looking at the Panny 110, but even this has features that i dont really need. Is there an alternative 3D player that doesnt have internet gimmicks?
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a 3D player without gimmicks, even for under £100. Typically if you go just one further notch down a manufacturer's range, you'd lose the 3D playback.

Most (all?) players have internet capabilities as standard to support BD-Live. No-one is forcing you to use it though.

Looking for the same to go with my 50ST30.
Have a 7.1 AVR but this has no 3d capability so was looking at the BDT310 for £149 from RS but tbh although the 2 HDMI's would be nice I'm not sure I'd be that bothered about HD sound loss for 3d (although it would be nice) most people rate the BDT110 as similar anyway and its available for £89 from RS here
Panasonic DMPBDT110 Black | 3D Blu-ray Player - Claim 3 gift Blu-ray films | Richer Sounds
I think this is probably what I'm going for as long as JL price match:D
The cheapest one on RS is this http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps470/sony-bdps470

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom