Cheap Blu Ray Player

BluWarfareHD09

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a cheap blu ray player for my mum, the reason I say cheap is that one she is not likly to buy herself many blu rays and secondly is that she was thinking about maybe getting a 3d tv and then she would need a 3d blu ray. Thanks in advance

Blimey, reviews say it scales better than the XBox and does 24P :confused:

Seems a no brainer, especially for your needs :smashin:

Got to pop into the city either friday or saturday will have to pop into asda and see if they have them in and see what they look like

I think Onn is an ASDA specific brand, but might be wrong.

If you go for it, expect zero support and minimal (if any) functionality re USB type viewing.
Not surprising, when you consider the price though, imo.

what do you think about the lg at tesco

I didn't realise your link was to an LG.

I haven't seen either of them.
But give me a choice of LG and Onn, it'd be LG, no problem.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they're basically the same thing.

I note Tesco are out of stock though.

At this price, I doubt you'd go wrong either way.

was going to see if they had it at the tesco in the city as its one of the big huge tescos with everthing think there called extra or something

The LG BD370 is an old model. I think soon 3 years ago it came on the marked.

They're both sub £50 Blu players, in which case I'd expect very little.

It's throwaway money, imo, in that if it fails in the first year you can get it fixed/replaced.

I think Onn is an ASDA specific brand, but might be wrong.

If you go for it, expect zero support and minimal (if any) functionality re USB type viewing.
Not surprising, when you consider the price though, imo.

It plays AVI files if the audio is anything but MP3 (As strangely it is not supported) and it has played every MKV file I have thrown at it.

so you recommend it joe

I got an ONN DS-BD52 for my Dad for Christmas. He wanted Transformers: Dark of the Moon on DVD, so I bought him the Blu-Ray and this player instead. For £40, it will do to get my parents into the HD era and their Toshiba LCD TV can finally feast on some high resolution imagery. :)

You said something about iy not having mp3 does this affect the ability to play some blu rays

I came across a problem with the ONN DS-BD52 yesterday: it won't play Stargate. It plays Transformers: Dark of the Moon and other discs I tested on it, which coincidentally were made after Stargate. It loads Stargate, but instead of displaying the language choice screen, the screen just stays black.

It looks like I'll be e-mailing Asda about it and returning it. My parents don't need to worry about what films they can and can't buy. I expect this sort of thing with new films, but not old ones. So much for the Christmas present. :(

I havn't got one yet, but has it got the latest firmware on it as that could be the problem

I checked the firmware, but cannot find any updates online to know if it's the latest or not. I guess this is the problem with cheap, unknown brands, you don't get the same support as the names. If it is the firmware though, I would expect issues with newly produced discs and not old ones.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom