• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

cheap, basic, low res gaming pc.

sinistro

Established Member
I want a small cheap, silent, low power usage pc to connect to my led projector (DVI/HDMI) 1080i/720p/480p.

As the resolution aint so high I dont expect I need a very powerfull machine to be able to play still nicely.

I thought to use the amd a10-5700 first but or the same amount I could build something with a i3 also. So what about this:

i3 3220
ASUS P8B75-M LX
2 x 4gb 1600 ram kingston cl9
graphic msi gt640 2gb
500 watt psu corsair cx v2
m-atx tower tacens noa
deepcool fan
500gb hd seagate

so round the 500 euro

or what a shop did gave me a price for:

amd a10-5800
asus f2a55-m fm2
4gb kingston ddr3 1600
b-move 600 watts
deepcool fan
tacens noa m-atx
500gb seagate hd sata3 7200

which comes round the 400 euro

The shops one is cheaper but does not have a dedicated graphic card so if I would add one there it will be more or less the same price.

Which would be better and will it work or should I build it up around a i5 minimum?

LJx

Prominent Member
the one with dedicated graphics will be better. an i5 is not neccasary, you want better graphics before even thinking about a better CPU. You would be better off with a Pentium and spending more on graphics than an i3

sinistro

Established Member
I have been reading more and I think now that my best option is to go for a i3-3220 with the gtx 550 ti I got now in my old pc ( amd phenom 9850 ) so I need just a ok-good motherboard, new ram and case with power supply and I will put my older 9800 gt in the amd 9850 pc to keep that one running on a bit lower graphic specs.

Or should I go for a i5 with the gtx 550 ti instead the i3? And then in the future a better graphic card then the gtx 550 ti?
-----------------
edit

I came in the end up with this:

I3-3220
asus p8h61 atx
8gb 1600 ram kingston cl9
deepcool fan
nox coolbay sx
650 watt power supply ( Got this one already )
asus gtx 550 ti ( got this one already )
500 gb hd
wifi card intel 2230 ( for widi option )

So in total I have to spend 383 euro ( 323 pounds ) to get this one build up. As I have graphic and power supply from my old pc which I can use for this new one I also have the parts to replace so I can keep that one running on lower specs. I only have to check what power supply I still have lying around and if that one could be used.
I went for the atx as next year the digital tv is going to change to a new format and so I want to have a pci slot free for a tc capture card when I know which will work next year.

Last edited:

shodan

Distinguished Member
Would you not get a better result for less money by using a PS3 rather than a cheap pc? My PS3 is the cente of my home cinema and gaming system. Music and tv and film apps and DVD and Blu-Ray, streaming AND gaming.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom