Cheap, basic audio streamer options?

PoisonJam

I'm looking for a basic wireless streamer that will allow me to just stream music (mostly WMAs) from Winamp to my HiFi in the same room. My only other requirement is that it works with Vista. My otherwise great Logitech Wireless DJ did not... :thumbsdow

Been tempted by the Logitech Squeezebox Duet but it's much more than I need just now.

Last edited:

Member 372856

Novice Member
We do this product which might be of interest...

Wireless Audio Sender

Currently showing on our website as out of stock, but we've just had a delivery this morning so it should be available later today if you're interested. We've sold quite a few of these, they're great, simple solution for streaming spotify, iTunes etc. It works with XP, Vista, Mac OS X no problem.

MikeO

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
We do this product which might be of interest...

Wireless Audio Sender

Currently showing on our website as out of stock, but we've just had a delivery this morning so it should be available later today if you're interested. We've sold quite a few of these, they're great, simple solution for streaming spotify, iTunes etc. It works with XP, Vista, Mac OS X no problem.

MikeO
Quite expensive though when you consider what you could buy for not much more money, such as a proper streamer.

PoisonJam

Quite expensive though when you consider what you could buy for not much more money, such as a proper streamer.
Actually, at less than half the price of the Squeezebox I think this might just be more appropriate for my needs. The Squeezebox might be a bit overkill. I also live in an old house where the walls are very thick and not having to transmit outside of the room to the wireless router is would be a good thing; I only get 1-2 bar signal strength. Unfortunately my HiFi and PC are far apart and opposite ends of the room or I'd just use a cable.

My concerns with the LINDY would be: continued driver support (Windows 7?) and I take it it streams everything to the HiFi, including annoying MSN messenger bings, YouTube videos etc. (same as a cable). How easily can I change between my HiFi and my PC speakers?

With regards to the Sqeezebox: can I control playlists through Winamp or does everything need to be used via the little Sqeezebox screen? Are Windows 7 drivers likely to be made? I know Logitech own this brand now and I already feel stung by them over the Wireless DJ drivers.

Member 372856

Novice Member
My concerns with the LINDY would be: continued driver support (Windows 7?) and I take it it streams everything to the HiFi, including annoying MSN messenger bings, YouTube videos etc. (same as a cable). How easily can I change between my HiFi and my PC speakers?
It uses Microsoft's built-in USB audio driver which is present in Windows 7 and probably will be for all future versions. It does stream all audio, in effect it's replacing a cable. You can easily change between Hi-Fi and PC speakers by...

Option 1, changing the sound output through the sound properties icon on your taskbar.
Option 2, just unplug the dongle ;)

MikeO

Darkstar_surfer

I am in the same position and during a conversation earlier with a colleague he recommended I get an Xbox for about £20 off ebay. He claims it will support every thing I need once I connect it up to my network. I still have a lot of research to do myself as too what this actually gives me, unfortunately I can't google Xbox at work.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Actually, at less than half the price of the Squeezebox I think this might just be more appropriate for my needs.
Well yes, fair enough, twice the money for 100 times more features. But if money is an issue, and the PC is in the same room, for £60-ish, you could get an Apple Airport express. Add the Airfoil software and you can stream anything (not just iTunes).

I suspect the Lindy's sound quality would not be that amazing either, i dont see a digital out there so whats doing the D -> A conversion? If the lindy has a DAC i bet its not very good. Michael - could you explain more?

I would rather run a cable TBH, or go for the Apple Airport.

(no offence Lindy-Michael).

Last edited:

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
With regards to the Sqeezebox: can I control playlists through Winamp or does everything need to be used via the little Sqeezebox screen? Are Windows 7 drivers likely to be made? I know Logitech own this brand now and I already feel stung by them over the Wireless DJ drivers.
Yes, you can create playlists with WinAMP. You also need Squeezecenter software on your PC, and that can edit/create playlists via an PC on your network via a webbrowser. Works fine with Windows 7, its an ongoing product line - unlike the Wireless DJ which i think is discontinued now.

No offensive, but the Wireless DJ was complete ****. The Squeezebox was created by a completely separate company which got bought by Logitech last year.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I am in the same position and during a conversation earlier with a colleague he recommended I get an Xbox for about £20 off ebay. He claims it will support every thing I need once I connect it up to my network. I still have a lot of research to do myself as too what this actually gives me, unfortunately I can't google Xbox at work.
I think he must be referring to XBMC - XBMC Media Center for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux

You are probably best off buying an xbox with it pre-installed TBH for a little extra, take a look on eBay. This is the media streamer forum here - Streamers & Network Media Players - AVForums.com

Member 373730

Novice Member
I suspect the Lindy's sound quality would not be that amazing either, i dont see a digital out there so whats doing the D -> A conversion? If the lindy has a DAC i bet its not very good. Michael - could you explain more?
There are no digital connections, but the OP doesn't mention using digital?

Yes it does have a DAC as that would be the only way over wireless. It supports 16-bit / 44.1KHz and uses the ISM band.

The audio to the human ear will sound exactly as it would locally. As we've done a lot of testing with the unit here.

It depends all on what your requirements are, not everyone needs the highest spec'd equipment with all the features.

P.S You can have winamp output sound directly using this, and have all the annoying MSN beeps etc through the normal speakers.

Best Regards

Chris

PoisonJam

Well yes, fair enough, twice the money for 100 times more features. But if money is an issue, and the PC is in the same room, for £60-ish, you could get an Apple Airport express. Add the Airfoil software and you can stream anything (not just iTunes).

I would rather run a cable TBH, or go for the Apple Airport.

Thanks, shame the Apple site isn't as helpful as you. I read about the Airport Express and looked into that first but all they do is bang on about iTunes. Put me right off :rolleyes: I don't like iPods/iTunes but have no problem with other Apple products.

No offensive, but the Wireless DJ was complete ****. The Squeezebox was created by a completely separate company which got bought by Logitech last year.
No offence taken, but the Wireless DJ had huge merits. No messing around with wireless networks and the biggie is I could access my music collection anywhere in the house (or garden) just by taking the remote with me. The Squeezebox has always frustrated me simply because it's static. I have everything in the one room now so a Squeezebox would do (I am in a flatshare now) but that wasn't always the case.

Obviously a lot of the ideas from the Wireless DJ have gone into the Duet.

Last edited:

brotchaq

There are no digital connections, but the OP doesn't mention using digital?

Yes it does have a DAC as that would be the only way over wireless. It supports 16-bit / 44.1KHz and uses the ISM band.

The audio to the human ear will sound exactly as it would locally. As we've done a lot of testing with the unit here.

It depends all on what your requirements are, not everyone needs the highest spec'd equipment with all the features.

P.S You can have winamp output sound directly using this, and have all the annoying MSN beeps etc through the normal speakers.

Best Regards

Chris
This looks interesting - I have a Logitech DJ also but now I've put a wireless network in the house, it interferes with it shockingly when streaming from on line - would this do the same?

Member 373730

Novice Member
It shouldn't interfere.

I would recommend changing the channel on your router to see if that helps on the setup you have.

Best Regards

Chris

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
This looks interesting - I have a Logitech DJ also but now I've put a wireless network in the house, it interferes with it shockingly when streaming from on line - would this do the same?
Maybe you would be better off buying some kit that would actually use the existing wireless network?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom