1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap AV amp (<£100 or close) recommendations

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by horlock, Aug 24, 2005.

1. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a cheap AV amp must have dolby digital and dts but looking for a recommendation.

Currently between

Yamaha rxv350rds from richer sounds

and

Nad T760 from hyperfi

Now my guess is that the Nad is better build quality, but the Yamaha is newer and probably has more functions etc

I really don't know what I want - bar surround sound (I'm replacing a Sherwood RV4080 - which had dolby pro logic only).

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Ta

2. famyuk

famyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what speakers are you gonna hook up into it? In terms of general advice, if your gona use it as a amp for music as well as movies go for the NAD, if its pimarily a home cinema amp I'd go for the yamaha.

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ... at that price the Yamaha will not even have a power supply - it will work using the world's backgound radiation !!!

No seriously now - the NAD will give you the power it says it would, otherwise it would not be an NAD. Note that i've not heard the T760, but that's just how NAD do stuff.

Unless you just want to have the latest looking kit, with the latest features, OR you actually "need" a feature the Yamaha is offering, then get the NAD.

As asked before: what speakers??

4. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently got Eltax floor standers as front, and gale satelytes for rear, eltax centre speaker, and I'm looking for a cheap sub - so any recommendations there also greatfully received.

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hmn - for £50 right - hehe... saw other thread & agree with the guy there! FORGET IT!

Look get the NAD, it has good power & DD/DTS decoding which is what you'll need anyway. Forget about the sub and checkout the performance of your system as is (set fronts to large & everything else to small if you have floorstanders).

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    NAD are top quality amps, and are world famous for their real dynamic watts, and for its musical abilities. The only thing missing is Dolby-ProLogic II.

Hifichoice gave it a best buy - http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1007

Looking at your speakers, I reckon the Yamaha will also be enough, so its not a bad choice either.

But rather RX-V350, why not look at RX-V357. Go to pricerunner, print out a few of the cheapest prices, e.g. homecinematv that sells it for £127.94, go to Richersounds, and ask them to price beat it, and they will price match it and lower it by £10, so your final price will be £117.94. 357 should be well worth the extra £28 over 350.

Wasabi

7. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips. It sounds like the 350 is out - but the question remains 357 or nad.

Nice tip for the 357 though.

Which should sound better? To be honest I'm more of a movie man than a music man - I know that what hifi rave about the Nad's music ability but I'm more after the films.

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can't go wrong with Yamaha at all. If you look at all the threads about Yamaha in general, its vastly very positive. <£120 is a very good price for this new amp with lots of features, good surround sound and enough power for your speakers.

Wasabi

9. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I tend to disagree with the toughts about Yamaha - reputable brand & all BUT you've got to spend quite some money for them to start inculding a power supply with their kit.

You've got to keep in mind that the NAD you mentioned is a discontinued product & that's why you're getting it at that price - it was built for a much higher price point & it's not even fair to compare it to the 350/357 (and even a couple of better Yamaha models).

As was correctly said you'll be missing DPXII - meaning that you won't be able to get 5.1 sound from Stereo signals (old movies & standard music). I'm not too sure about this but it just might be that EARS will let you achieve this anyway!

Now - having said all this - probably at anything close to £100 the Yamaha is good (quite good), you cannot possibly expect the stars for that money. I just think that if you really have the possibility of getting the NAD T760 for about £100 - it's a no brainer! IMO

10. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to sound totally niave but what is a power supply and why wouldn't everyone include one?

11. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I was being sarcastic! they obviously all have power supplies - it's just that entry level amps have lesser power supplies that don't even deserve being called so.

Basically it's what powers (electricity) your amplifier circuit (and other stuff) inside your equipment. Believe it or not, in most cases, what seperates a model from the next one up will be the power supply. It alone determines the output (watts if you like) of the amp you buy. It's useless having a 100w amp with a silly power supply - it would act as a 50w (just an example!) amp, but with the potential of damaging your speakers (tweeters) with distortion if you turn up the volume too much (driving it into clipping).

My point in insisting that the NAD760 is better than the Yamaha 350/357 is that they where creating for two very different pricepoints & it's very clear that the 760 will have the better power & amplification.

The only thing I can say is that some earlier NAD models (760 is one of them) had some software bugs but can't say what exactly - anyone with experience of such bugs please comment. But I guess for the money they would be easy to live with!

12. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    True NAD power is way ahead of Yamaha and other brands as well. However, the question is also whether the speaker set up can handle the power on high volume from NAD, if not, no point buying a too powerful amp. But yes, when NAD was on the market, the price shows that it is in a totally different league to Yamaha 3series, with much higher quality components.

For a new amp, the Yamaha is def the best deal atm for that kind of price, no question about it.

horlock, are you in a position where you can play really loud? Thats where NAD comes into their real talents. On very high volumes the sound is still very clear and doesn't distort as much as other brands.

Why don't you go to richer sounds, ask for a demo combining some eltax/gale set up with the 357 on their demo room. See if they have an amp where it has Dolby Pro-Logic and try and compare with DPL II, if you think its not an important thing, then go for NAD.

Neither is a bad buy.

Wasabi

13. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is great info - thanks very much I'm off to america for a holiday tomorrow morning, and plan to buy as soon as I get back - unless of cause I pick up a monster bargain in the US. Obviously no tax to pay if you buy overseas for less than £145 - though I don't know about how easy it is to reclaim US tax!?!

Thanks again - I'll check again before I buy to see if anyone has anything else to say - at the moment the NAD is calling me-> but I don't know what the postage is from hyperfi.

14. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice idea. Just be sure to call the fire brigade and ambulance before you plug that 110V kit into your 240V supply. :rolleyes: :lesson: :rolleyes: