Cheap audio recorder advice.

Bastet

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am having major trouble with ATOS, the 'health professionals' who conduct work capability and other medical assessments for the Department for Work and Pensions in the UK. In a nutshell, two 'health professionals' have lied to my face and on the medical reports they have then sent to the DWP, majorly impacting and hindering my disability benefits.

I have asked to record future assessments I attend and have been told that I have to comply with a very strict set of rules. They say I can only record the assessment using non-digital recorders and using equipment that can make two simultaneous copies of the recordings at once, so a dual cassette recorder or something like that. They're stuck in the 90s and insist on something obsolete like cassettes.

I have been told I am not allowed to use any Dictaphones and the likes, a mobile phone or anything that records digitally.

I've hunted high and low for a dual cassette recorder that would work and I am falling short. The best I can find is a Philips AQ1001/05 Cassette Player...but I'd have to buy two. I am not sure if they will accept this as it is two separate machines and recordings. They will only allow me to record if two copies can be provided there and then, one for me and one for ATOS - to prevent me being able to meddle with their copy of the recording. They have refused to provide recording equipment themselves. Are there any cheap dual recorders?

I am on a strict budget, especially given that ATOS have sabotaged my income.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

i got the impression this was sorted a couple of years ago but there is a lot about it on the net

Rightsnet discussion forum - tape recording of ATOS assessment - Rightsnet

Unless those trials resulted in the whole thing being shelved I think in theory you can ask in advance and they may refuse. If they refuse you should be offered the option of having somebody else there. I think they were doing the recording during that trial period and handing the recording to the interviewee.

Having said that they do seem to have reverted to the dark ages - although CD is an option. That sounds rarer than dual cassette recorders to me!!!

Frequently asked questions PIP - Can I record my consultation? - Atos Healthcare

Making something so seemingly simple so stupidly difficult seems to be somewhat required for these agencies deciding what your life and body means to you everyday. Pointless position to take from day one IMHO.

Sorry if they insist - what they describe as a dual cassette recorder was more of the professional Evidence recorder as seen on Dixon of Dock Green circa 1970 :)

I chose one search term but I am sure others provide many hits as well

uk atos interview recording by customer at DuckDuckGo

They don't mention it but are you permitted to be accompanied? I notice they say they keep their recording for 14 months and the DWP do not use it to decide the claim - doesn't mean it can't be used to ensure the decisions are all adninistratively correct though I presume. surely every UK government decision (outside things like terrorism etc no doubt) is a decision that can be administratively challenged and that is at tribunals firstly - whether it is on their behalf or not - the decision maker is the government in the legislation usually and they use ATOS to provide the 'expert' information to make the actual decision?

Challenging a doctors decision in that process would I think be a different thing - legal not administrative as you are questioning an experts opinion. There is almost zero opportunity for you to seek a truly independent second opinion the way that ridiculous (IMO) system seems to be set up. If there is one it is well hidden and no doubt excruciatingly difficult - the recoding fiasco will likely pale in comparison I reckon. You would likely need a bit more firepower than a 1970s cassette recording for that.

The system sucks and I feel for you - I hope things work out for you.

Hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately these trials were for ESA. According to Disability Rights UK:

There are no plans to offer audio recording to PIP claimants. The Department intends to look closely at the Employment and Support Allowance experience and is evaluating the impact of audio recording, before taking any decisions on whether to include it as part of the PIP process in the longer-term. - See more at: Audio Recording of WCA assessments | Disability Rights UK

and it seems to have died there :(

Although I'd be wary of that particular one as the sellers description doesn't actually state it's in full working order, he just states certain items on it are working.
He also states it's been in storage...rubber belts, and there will be a few of them in this machine, perish in these conditions.
In saying that, there is the eBay guarantee.

This depends on what you need it for. I was recording awesome audio and video with those old iPods ;) (Dang! Feel so old even saying that).

Thanks everyone. Crocodile I bought the one you linked for £50 total. Says what's fully working. If parts are broken but not declared, as you say I can contact eBay. PayPal would definitely have my back also. Just waiting on delivery, thanks.

A Freedom of Information request was submitted to the DWP in July 2012 about equipment. Turns out the DWP bought ATOS 12 NEAL recorders to use on ESA assessments. Whilst they'll claim they were bought for ESA and not PIP, the company in both cases is ATOS, so they should be able to find a recorder instead of forcing the disabled person to do so.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom