Cheap and cheerful all-in-one streamer

weebaldy

Novice Member
Hi, looking for advice on whether the sort of device I want even exists.

I bought a second-hand Philips Streamium WAK3300 a few years ago for about £30, and in terms of functionality it's spot-on for me. It's small, it's all-in-one with builtin speakers and screen for navigation, and it'll talk to my DLNA-enabled NAS over wifi, let me scroll through my MP3 collection, and play my tunes. I don't need to involve my PC, my phone, or any other device.

However, the software is very flaky, and it frequently fails to detect the NAS, so it's probably time to replace it. But what with?

Is there anything similar but more modern? The only devices I've seen seem to be aimed at the high end of the market. I'm not bothered about sound quality, and I don't want to build up a solution with a pile of separates. I want something small, cheap, all-in-one (including speakers), and with a reasonable way to navigate through a list of files and folders (so it doesn't have to be a touchscreen, but a single-line matrix display is too unwieldy).

I'm not fussed about headphone jack, aux input, radio, CD, USB etc, although any of those would be nice bonuses, but not if it means increasing the cost or size significantly.

Is there anything that covers this sort of use case in the budget range? TIA.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you are looking to run separate speakers, you could look at something like the Yamaha CRX-N470D which is a mini system without speakers and is one of the cheapest units which can offer streaming/cd/usb plus control via an app. Partnered with these trade-in speakers could be your cheapest way into bring something what you are looking for

However if you are looking at a one box solution, I really cannot think of any that will incorporate everything you are looking for

weebaldy

Novice Member
If you are looking to run separate speakers, you could look at something like the Yamaha CRX-N470D which is a mini system without speakers and is one of the cheapest units which can offer streaming/cd/usb plus control via an app. Partnered with these trade-in speakers could be your cheapest way into bring something what you are looking for

However if you are looking at a one box solution, I really cannot think of any that will incorporate everything you are looking for
Thanks Shane but yeah, integrated speaker(s) is what I'm looking for. It doesn't need to be portable as in battery-powered, but I do want something small and easy to move between rooms. More like a clock-radio with streaming than a serious hifi.

Cheers for the lead re the CRX-N470D, but it's three or four times the price of, say, a non-streaming micro hifi system or DAB clock radio! I was thinking the sub-£100 budget range.

Sounds like this may well be a nonexistent market segment! I may be best off with a Bluetooth speaker instead, and make do with using a phone/tablet as the controller... Thanks anyway.

Cebolla

How about a cheap/2nd hand Android tablet with similar dimensions to the WAK3300, ie, with a 7" or 8" screen and an appropriate app to play the music from the NAS's UPnP/DLNA media server (just like the WAK3300), eg, BubbleUPnP?

weebaldy

Novice Member
How about a cheap/2nd hand Android tablet with similar dimensions to the WAK3300, ie, with a 7" or 8" screen and an appropriate app to play the music from the NAS's UPnP/DLNA media server (just like the WAK3300), eg, BubbleUPnP?
It'd definitely be a much better user interface than the WAK3300, but what's the sound like on a tablet? I said I wasn't bothered about sound quality per se, but I'd imagined that tablet speakers would be very tinny and quiet even by clock radio standards. If a tablet could compete with the WAK3300 though (just in terms of volume really), then it'd be perfect!

mseve1

By pairing the tablet to any half decent Bluetooth speaker you could overcome the SQ limitations of the tablet. OK, it's not an all in one solution but I reckon it's near enough.

jamieu

I think the problem might be that mobile phones and tablets are so cheap and ubiquitous now that building a touch screen into a low-cost product makes less sense than it might once have. You can get speakers with skip/pause and volume controls and voice control, but selecting local music via a half-decent screen is problay a bit of an ask nowadays.

The closest I can think of is Ruark who make several DLNA supporting speakers, but none are cheap (even secondhand) and as you say selecting music via a 2-line LCD screen is likely to drive you mad.

You could look for a used Sonos portable speaker (or one of the Ikea/Sonos compatible speakers) and just share your files via SMB (standard PC network share) rather than DLNA and let the Sonos speaker index the files on your Mac directly. But that would still require an app on your phone or a tablet to select your albums and playlists. You could always get a cheap tablet, that you placed on a table stand, solely to act as a touch-screen display ie. don't think of it as a phone/tablet, just think of it as the physical controller for your music player.

If you're handy with some DIY you could certainly build your own unit out of an old HiFI speaker/cabinet, a RPi a 7" Touchscreen and a small amp board or amp hat. But that's far more into the territory of weekend DIY project than a cost saving, off-the-shelf product.

Alternatively, as mentioned above, a cheap/used tablet on a table stand (running a DLNA control app like Bubble UPnP) connected to a budget 'smart speaker' like an Amazon Echo / Nest Audio or a cheap active speaker via the tablets 3.5mm output, could be another option.

Last edited:

dogfonos

It's small, it's all-in-one with builtin speakers and screen for navigation, and it'll talk to my DLNA-enabled NAS over wifi, let me scroll through my MP3 collection, and play my tunes.

looking for advice on whether the sort of device I want even exists.

Is there anything similar but more modern?

Had one for a couple of years. I use it mainly for Internet radio and to play FLAC files from a DLNA NAS. Sound quality is decent rather than good, software works reliably well and, most importantly for me, it seems intuitive/logical so no great learning exercise (don't ever remember resorting to the instruction manual). Visual display panel is a bit limited but not a problem for me - just don't bury music files too deep in the NAS folder structure and it's fine.

I found it easy to set up via wired Ethernet before switching to wireless.

Brand new, the Roberts stream 94i sells for around £170 - 180. The stream 93i is, evidently, very similar (though without Bluetooth) and sells for around £146. Maybe some pre-owned bargains out there?

jamieu

Had one for a couple of years. I use it mainly for Internet radio and to play FLAC files from a DLNA NAS. Sound quality is decent rather than good, software works reliably well and, most importantly for me, it seems intuitive/logical so no great learning exercise (don't ever remember resorting to the instruction manual). Visual display panel is a bit limited but not a problem for me - just don't bury music files too deep in the NAS folder structure and it's fine.

I found it easy to set up via wired Ethernet before switching to wireless.

Brand new, the Roberts stream 94i sells for around £170 - 180. The stream 93i is, evidently, very similar (though without Bluetooth) and sells for around £146. Maybe some pre-owned bargains out there?

This is a great suggestion, I hadn't realised the Roberts Radio's supported DLNA.

Looks like you can get a refurbished iStream 3 for around £150. Over your budget, but far from ridiculously priced and they're nice looking and well built too.

As dogfonos say you can probably find a used bargain if you're prepared to wait, although I guess it's the kind of radio that most people who buy one will hang onto till it stops working.

Actually it looks like CEX is selling A grade (used) ones for £125, B grade ones for £110 and C grade ones for £95. Convoluted but you could see if someone on here has some CEX vouchers to sell which might save you a few additional pounds off those prices too.

Last edited:

RealityDysfunction

I have the Roberts 93i. I copied my music collection onto a USB stick (in the form of not overly compressed MP3s). I know you said you had a NAS system, but that may be more reliable than a wifi connection - and you did say you were not too bothered about sound quality.

Ged

Have a look on Amazon for Lemega.

Amazon product
Amazon product

They have a range of devices, some with CD, internet radio. I have a few of their radios dotted around and can control them via UNDOK app, they are based on Frontier Silicon technology. There are some lesser specked radios too but obviously won’t be network capable. I had a larger M3 but sold it on as I didn’t use it much as a bedside radio.
The build quality is good but I don’t seem to see them getting firmware updates

weebaldy

Novice Member
Great advice everyone, thanks a lot! The Roberts and Lemega options both look very good. Not sure about the 70s-retro-styling on both, but can't complain in this price bracket. Failing that, I may go the cheap tablet plus active speaker route. Cheers all.

dogfonos

I may go the cheap tablet plus active speaker route.

I also use such a setup. Old Android 4.4.2 tablet (plenty of pre-owned early Amazon Fire 7 tablets under £30) used to remote control a Roberts RS1 wireless multi-room music streamer (which includes Spotify and Internet radio) using Robert's UNDOK Android app. I paid the ridiculously low price of £15 last year for a brand new one but prices for the RS1 vary wildly. Can't currently see one under £50! I believe there's a similar device branded as Goodmans which, last year, sold for under £25?!?

I feed the RS1 into budget active studio monitors but a pair of powered speakers at around £75:

...would still likely sound way better than the Roberts stream 93i/94i and be far more flexible too. But it takes you well over budget at current prices.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom