Cheap amps with discrete on/off codes required

stindig

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am setting up a DIY automated home and need several 2-channel amps with discrete on/off capability. It's not a specification that anyone lists in their documentation. Does anyone know of such a device?

Thanks,

stindig

Our two channel amps from the 540Av2 upwards have discrete on/off activated by holding the standby button down for 12 seconds (for ON) and another 12 seconds (for OFF) if its any help.

Our two channel amps from the 540Av2 upwards have discrete on/off activated by holding the standby button down for 12 seconds (for ON) and another 12 seconds (for OFF) if its any help.

Sorry but that is not a discreet input code. Have a look at Arcam kit for how to do discreet codes properly

Sorry but that is not a discreet input code. Have a look at Arcam kit for how to do discreet codes properly

Pressing and releasing the standby button sends a standard toggle bit for on and off- this is indeed not a discrete code.
Pressing and holding the button, stops this code after one second. There is a pause and after the full 12 seconds, an entirely different RC5 code that will only power the unit ON is sent. Two seconds later this stops before after 24 seconds the RC5 code for OFF only is sent. I'm not sure what your final definition of discrete is but our process works correctly for CI and has satisified every request for discrete codes thus far.

So- press button normally= toggle. Press and hold secures discrete codes to input elsewhere.

I want to implement this in 4 kids' bedrooms using universal remotes with simple off / on buttons. I don' think that holding buttons down for 12 seconds is adequately intuitive for this purpose. Thanks anyway Ed.

Crustyloafer - Do you know how long Arcam amps have been able to do this? I need to buy several so they would need to be inexpensive and second hand.

Thanks again.

Pressing and releasing the standby button sends a standard toggle bit for on and off- this is indeed not a discrete code.
Pressing and holding the button, stops this code after one second. There is a pause and after the full 12 seconds, an entirely different RC5 code that will only power the unit ON is sent. Two seconds later this stops before after 24 seconds the RC5 code for OFF only is sent. I'm not sure what your final definition of discrete is but our process works correctly for CI and has satisified every request for discrete codes thus far.

So- press button normally= toggle. Press and hold secures discrete codes to input elsewhere.

Can I assume then Ed that you can just program into a programmable remote the discreet codes that are emmited after 12 seconds and 24 seconds, therefore providing instant discreet control over the CA kit?

Could you please post the hex codes for these two commands?

I want to implement this in 4 kids' bedrooms using universal remotes with simple off / on buttons. I don' think that holding buttons down for 12 seconds is adequately intuitive for this purpose. Thanks anyway Ed.

Crustyloafer - Do you know how long Arcam amps have been able to do this? I need to buy several so they would need to be inexpensive and second hand.

Thanks again.

All of the DiVA range models including the A65+ respond to discreet codes. I should point out though that these are commands that they will respond to but they are not includied on the supplied remote control. You will need a programmable remote control to enter all the discreet codes into.

Crustyloafer said:
Can I assume then Ed that you can just program into a programmable remote the discreet codes that are emmited after 12 seconds and 24 seconds, therefore providing instant discreet control over the CA kit?

Yes- the full set of codes including Discrete On/Off are HERE

Crustyloafer said:
Could you please post the hex codes for these two commands?

Currently we only supply the RC5 varient of all of our codes (as above) on account of them being useful for all learning remotes whereas the hex type is pronto only. You can direct input RC5 directly onto pronto as a workaround anyway- this is why the remotes output the code as an on site quick solution method. I'll be adding the true hex's at some stage but its another thing on the to do list at present. I didn't look for the Arcam codes but assume the cheeky chaps from Cambridge do RC5 and Hex off the site?

Currently we only supply the RC5 varient of all of our codes (as above) on account of them being useful for all learning remotes whereas the hex type is pronto only.

That's not true, you need hex codes for the NevoSL.

I didn't look for the Arcam codes but assume the cheeky chaps from Cambridge do RC5 and Hex off the site?

Yes they do on their dealer extranet website. They have all the RC5 and full hex codes listed for every product they make. They also have ready made templates for every product for the Pronto, Nevo and AMX Controllers.

Noted- you may or may not be suprised to learn that we haven't been asked about Nevo's in conjunction with our stuff :).
How come the codes are extranet only? If for example the OP buys a brace of used A65's, can he not just sort a learning remote out for himself?

Noted- you may or may not be suprised to learn that we haven't been asked about Nevo's in conjunction with our stuff :).
How come the codes are extranet only? If for example the OP buys a brace of used A65's, can he not just sort a learning remote out for himself?

The full hex codes and other technical document for installers are on the extranet. However every user manual for the Arcam products has a page in it which lists all of the available RC5 codes for that device.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom