Cheap Amp for JBL Control 5 (4 ohm) speakers

woodworm001

Standard Member
I have some JBL Control 5 speakers which are monitors - I believe this will make them sound a little 'flat'. Specifications are ...

• Frequency Range: 75 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Power Capacity: 175 Watts
  • Sensitivity: 89 dB 1W, 1m
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
  • Crossover Frequency: 3 kHz
I want a super cheap (£50-£80) amp to power these for my study so I can listen to music on something better than my computer speakers ...

On that well known auction site I know I can pick up something like a NAD 3020 / 3130 or Rotel RA-820 (or RA 930 for a little more if it's worth it?).

Source would be my PC and I'm mostly into rock music if that makes a difference.

Am I going along the right route with the NAD / Rotel or any other recommendations?

soulsurvivor

Out of interest, which amp did you end up getting?

I have a pair I bought in the mid 90's, connected to a Technics mini system. I would have preferred deeper bass and better treble. I didnt know about sub for it at the time though. How did you get on?

woodworm001

Standard Member
I bought an old NAD 3030 from ebay which does a reasonable job as long as you have the volume at a reasonable level. I don't really use the system much now and it's installed in my garage where it's fine.

I believe most of those 80's NAD amplifiers were happy with 4ohm speakers but I never got to try one of the other amps listed.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom