1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap air con for AV room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sbowler, Jun 22, 2005.

1. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Following the recent warm weather, I find its way to hot in the loft. The only fan I have isnt very effective, what sort of ways do other members use to keep there rooms cool during summer. I have seen air con units in DIY stores, around the £500 mark. any suggestions.

2. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You might be able to get mobile units for that price but lack of power and noise will be a problem. I'm having a 3kW wall mounted unit fitted as I write. Its costing £3k.

try http://www.airconco.com/

Martin

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
  4. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    If you're on a really tight budget, Homebase are doing a small mobile unit for 150 quid.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    These small refrigeration units would be no use in a loft (too big an area), and they are very noisy. I have one larger than the ones quoted in my 10' x 8' office, and it's on continuously in the hot weather, and struggles to cope. You also need a 6" diameter hole to the outside to exhaust the hot air.

The evaporative ones are a total waste of time !

7. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    I bought a split AC system recently, 18,000 BTU unit which cost me 300 quid. Got it from a small company in Chesterfield called Icon Process Systems. They do sell the stuff on fleabay aswell under the name of livingluxury.

Check them out and if your interested then ring them, don't bid on ebay as they always go for much more than what I paid. Ring them and haggle a bit. I collected mine from them so was able to haggle a price for cash, but other people say they have gotten the same deal.

They also do a slightly smaller 12,000 BTU unit for £225.

Install was easy, 2 hours max and everything you need is provided, all the pipes are pre-flared etc. And you get a nice snazzy remote to operate it with.

Since installing it about 3 weeks ago it's been beautiful on hot days, my living room ( with conservatory on the back end ) can get down to 16 degrees when its boiling outside.

Being a split system aswell it has the compressor unit outside so all the noise is kept in the garden!!!!!!

Try them, i'm very impressed.

8. Thomashannam

Thomashannam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Why don't you have a look at www.harwill.co.uk for split units heating/cooling. Great buys and they use inverter pump, 1 kw in with 3 kw out, very economical, modern and easy to install. All necessary parts sent with your order or they will install for you. Excellent backup. :thumbsup: