Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cheap A85 or W1?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by huwg, Jan 1, 2005.

1. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Same old question really,
    I love the W1, but it would really be stretching my budget (currently around £220).
    Argos are currently doing the Canon A85 for £160, I'd have to add a set of NiMH rechargable batteries + charger on top of this as it only comes with bog standard alkalis (any recommendations? any to avoid?)

In an equal world, the Sony would get my shout, but is it really worth the extra (£50-£70) over the Canon?

I'd also need to factor in £60 for a card and case (for both cameras)

I'd like a speedy shutter response, this will be my first digicam and I've noticed that in many cases the shutter delay when compared with a film camera is shocking - The Sony is quick, how does the Canon compare?

Any honest W1 or A85 owners, please let me know if there are any niggles with images (or otherwise).

Cheers

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Went for the W12 in the end :D :eek:

3. Righty

Righty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    W1 without a shadow of doubt. 4xAA batts! bah.. in to the bin! however, if it were the A80 i'd think differently, that was an awsome camera, for some reason, i jsut don't like the A85.