Cheap 650w psu?

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
Can anybody recommend a good, yet cheapish PSU, probably looking at about 650w
Cheers!
depends...if you have a "cheap" system that is not very high powered then yes i could say go have a look at these: Scan.co.uk: Leading supplier of Power Supplies

and just choose which ever is the cheapest on there.

however if you have a decent quality system then it would requie a nice power supply and therefore you may want to be looking at the end of that list (i.e. the higher prices) which has better makes such as lian li, corsair or antec.

basically if you have a cheap system go cheap, if you have a nice system that you dont want blowing up you have to spend a bit of cash :)

bryngreen

I suppose you get what you pay for! I'm getting confused with the different cables that come with the different PSU's, the motherboard im going to use is the MSI 770-C45 , is there any difference between the psu's that say 24 pin motherboard connector, and 20/4 pin connector? Go easy on me I'm new to this haha!
Thanks

mjn

Distinguished Member
The new 650w Antec has got good reviews.

MarkE19

is there any difference between the psu's that say 24 pin motherboard connector, and 20/4 pin connector? Go easy on me I'm new to this haha!
Thanks
Some older motherboards only have a 20 pin power connector so you often get a PSU with a 20/4 pin connector. This basically means it is a 20 pin connector with an additional 4 pin connector that clip together for a 24 pin motherboard, or just discard the 4 pin connector for a 20 pin board.

Mark.

Tainted

Standard Member
The new 650w Antec has got good reviews.

I'd agree with that and was going to say the same thing.

It would be better if you mentioned your budget so we could help you pick the best PSU for your money.

Corsair, OCZ, Enermax, Antec, ThermalTake, Tagan and Seasonic are the main branded PSU's that all put out very good PSU's.

If you can, get a modular PSU for cable-tidying, improved air-flow and less hassle when putting your system together.

rjmehra

Standard Member
May I offer my two cents on Zalman?
I was looking for a reasonably priced PSU in the 600W region (which is enough for most dual-card computers realistically).
However quietness was a requirement for me, so I looked at heatpipe-based PSUs that cool the components primarily by heatpipes (which are silent) and then by a fan if the heat gets too high (which is also silent!).
There are many in their range (the HP and XT range). All are modular which is a big plus for airflow and general accessibility.
The XT range are aimed at overclockers and are usually very high-powered, I have no experience with these though.
The one I ended up purchasing is the 600W HP model and I love it!
All voltages are clean and consistent, the audible noise is next to zero, and in my home theatre pc that's essential.
There are models with higher wattage, 750, 850 and 1000 I think. But seriously, 600W is more than enough unless you have 3-way GPUs or some crazy set up that isn't "normal".
I hope this gives you something to look at anyway.
Best
-R

buccy

Standard Member
I don't know what you budget is but the Antec Signature is a really good power supply that used to cost a lot of money (well over £100!!! :eek:) but can be had for around £70-£80 now days. Here is a link Scan.co.uk: SG-650UK - 650W Antec Signature Modular 80%+ Eff', Triple +12V Rails, 80mm Silent Fan, PSU

If you take a look at the specs you will see that the Volt Reg is +- 3% on all but the -12V Rail which is extremly impressive! Only thing to look out for is that it has one 6 or 8 pin PCI-e connector and the second is only a 6 pin, other than that can't fault it.

cesar67

Standard Member
I don't know what you budget is but the Antec Signature is a really good power supply that used to cost a lot of money (well over £100!!! :eek:) but can be had for around £70-£80 now days. Here is a link Scan.co.uk: SG-650UK - 650W Antec Signature Modular 80%+ Eff', Triple +12V Rails, 80mm Silent Fan, PSU

If you take a look at the specs you will see that the Volt Reg is +- 3% on all but the -12V Rail which is extremly impressive! Only thing to look out for is that it has one 6 or 8 pin PCI-e connector and the second is only a 6 pin, other than that can't fault it.

At that price (£86), He would be better of going for an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w
At £60

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom