Cheap 50/55" stopgap TV?

broona

We've been getting a damp proof course put in, so the house is upside down for the foreseeable future, and I've put my 65" OLED in the bedroom to keep it out of harm's way.

We're using an ancient fat 40" Samsung 1080P LCD in the living room, and it's awful, so I'm just looking for something basic that I can use with my Series X and watch Netflix until we're back to normal.

The new TV can then go upstairs where the 40" was originally, don't want to step back down from 65" to 40" again! 😂

Any recommendations please? Been looking at the Hisense range, my son has a 43" Roku one, and it's been great for the price.

broona

45 to 55", the 40" looks tiny, even as a temporary living room TV, it's just not nice.

Budget £500 maximum, but preferably less, been looking second hand too, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

HDR on the Series X until I swap back over, but not much HDR content other than that.

Dodgexander

I'd probably go for something cheap but guaranteed to be a VA type panel and keep HDR disabled console side. Netflix you need a non-premium plan to disable HDR.

Something like a 55" Samsung AU9000, or any 50" TV from Samsung, Hisense or LG.

HDR is sold on every TV, but few can display it properly.

broona

I'd probably go for something cheap but guaranteed to be a VA type panel and keep HDR disabled console side. Netflix you need a non-premium plan to disable HDR.

Something like a 55" Samsung AU9000, or any 50" TV from Samsung, Hisense or LG.

HDR is sold on every TV, but few can display it properly.

I've just spotted the Samsung AU8000 for £380 with a 5yr warranty, can't see much difference to the AU9000, is that a decent alternative? Thanks.

Link - Samsung UE55AU8000 55

Dodgexander

I've just spotted the Samsung AU8000 for £380 with a 5yr warranty, can't see much difference to the AU9000, is that a decent alternative? Thanks.

Link - Samsung UE55AU8000 55
Safe option at 50" but not 55" if you want a TV that comes with a VA type panel.

broona

Safe option at 50" but not 55" if you want a TV that comes with a VA type panel.

Thanks again for the reply, and it gives me another couple of questions.

Is there any way of knowing the panel type before turning the TV on, any information on the box or the sticker on the TV?

And any reason not to go for the AU7100, which looks to be VA panel only?

Dodgexander

No reason to avoid the AU7100, all the AU models have the same picture quality panel types aside.

broona

Ordered a 55" Samsung AU7100 from Reliant Direct, £360 delivered with a 5yr warranty, it's being delivered on Friday, thank you for the advice Dodge. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom