1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap 5.1 for the bedroom!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by LDJ, Dec 31, 2003.

1. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Basically, having got the living room sorted, I now want a cheap 5.1 setup for the bedroom. I currently have a 32” w/s TV with basic pro-logic and I’m tired of the very ordinary sound that results. What I want to do is upgrade this to 5.1 so that my Xbox and movies play in lovely DD5.1, and ideally I’d like DPL2 for sky, but I want to do it as cheaply and aesthetically economically as possible.
    I’ve been looking at the all-in-one HC systems but they (obviously) come with DVD players – something I really don’t need. I’ve already got more DVD players than I know what to do with, so another is most unwelcome! :)

Can anyone recommend a half-decent 5.1 setup that wont break the bank – I don’t mind if its through a all-in-one speaker ‘kit’ or separates…just something that will do the trick so to speak.

thanks

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony's DAVS550 is pretty descent for a smaller room. If you want something meatier (but equally as gorgeous) try the company's DAVS880 or DAVS888 systems instead, which are both VERY respectable performers.

3. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just got myself the Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 system. It would be good for a smaller room & console gaming, doesn't have DPLII but has something else that sounds like it's Creative's attempt at designing a circuit to do the same thing. The system got good reviews in What Hi Fi and Home Entertainment, but I bought it because the price is down from the RRP of £250 - you can now pick one up at PC world for £150 or QVC for £130! (and after I said how crap QVC was...)

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi LDJ
    Try and pick up the sony htk-25 there are still a few about for under 200 quid(no dvd player) i put one of these in my daughters bedroom which is 18'x9' and it sounds excellent ,It used to retail at around 370 quid .
    Cheers Gonzo.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Empire direct are doing the new model htk-250 for 219 quid.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks gonzo: the htk-250 looks just the job!