Cheap 4K Blu Ray

jako999

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I want a cheap 4K Blu Ray and have looked at the Sony UBP-X500 we will only watch a Blu Ray or a dvd once in a blue moon and play
the odd CD. I have a Sony OLED and am about to order an Arcam av amp so also a bit short on cash. Is there any think out there better for the same sort of money the Sony gets good reviews
Thanks in advance

Hi I want a cheap 4K Blu Ray and have looked at the Sony UBP-X500 we will only watch a Blu Ray or a dvd once in a blue moon and play
the odd CD. I have a Sony OLED and am about to order an Arcam av amp so also a bit short on cash. Is there any think out there better for the same sort of money the Sony gets good reviews
Thanks in advance
Cheapest X500 I can see is £129 with most places around £139. At the same price range you could get a Panasonic UB150. For a bit extra over the cost of an X500 you could also get a Panasonic UB150 with 5 UHds at £160.
Panasonic DP-UB150EB-K: 4K Ultra HD Player & 5 4K UHD Bundle (Zoom Exclusive Hardware) [Hardware]

Another alternative at £40 over the X500 would be a Panasonic UB450 (£165-£169) which comes with Dolby Vision playback (AFAIK the X500 doesn't). Depends if your Sony Oled does Dolby Vision though.

Last edited:
Panasonic UB450 is a good compromise if you don't mind missing out on some of the picture options available on the more expensive UB820, plus you get two HDMI ports to help with audio routing. Downsides are that build quality is poorer than the more expensive stuff, there's no front panel display and the power is supplied by a wall wart. If I didn't already have an 820 though, I'd certainly consider the cheaper model.

Clem

I have Sony AF8 OLED and Panasonic UB450 player. Connected with a Belkin 4K 48gbps HDMI cable. It's a basic budget player, cheaply built and very light. But it gets the job done without any problems. As I don't need any of the apps more expensive players may have (I only use TV's internal apps like Netflix, Youtube, etc.) and I watch a blu-ray movie maybe once in a month, so it was easy decision for me to go for a cheap player.. Anyway, I'm pleased with the picture quality it provides, normal blu-rays look great and 4K DV discs even better. It loads discs fast enough and it is pretty silent. The only thing I would like it to have is a "source direct" option, but that or the lack of hdr optimizer, front display and great build quality were not deal breakers for me.

Thanks we have the same tv, I think I’m going to go for a Sony 500 as Sony with Sony and as I have just bough an Arcam av the shop are willing to do it for 139 with a 6 year warranty thrown in.
Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom