Cheap 2TB 3.5" HDDs

saguk1234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some 2TB HDDs for a less than £70 each?

Cheers, just ordered one myself. Just in time for my new sandybridge rig.

I remember having a 30mb HDD in my first PC and that was huge!! This is a decent price for WD drives, touch wood, not had one fail on me yet

2TB Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green - Bought two of this last summer for my ReadyNAS duo. My experience was not good. Although on paper they look good in practice they have been very slow and I believe that is due to their eco green credentials - I am even now considering selling it on flebay, take the loss and move on! If I were you, as you are targetting a high performance system I wouyld stay away of this (or any other) green discs. Just my experience.

2TB Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green - Bought two of this last summer for my ReadyNAS duo. My experience was not good. Although on paper they look good in practice they have been very slow and I believe that is due to their eco green credentials - I am even now considering selling it on flebay, take the loss and move on! If I were you, as you are targetting a high performance system I wouyld stay away of this (or any other) green discs. Just my experience.

You could try and turn of the eco mode using Wdidle? The WD20EARS is an advanced format drive therefore putting a jumper on pins 7 & 8 may resolve your problems.

You could try and turn of the eco mode using Wdidle? The WD20EARS is an advanced format drive therefore putting a jumper on pins 7 & 8 may resolve your problems.

Thanks for the advice. That is what I have also been reading in the forums although I still did not find the time (and courage) to go around it. Hopefully that will do the trick but for now I have spend endless hours trying to get the NAS sorted without much success... if I just had bought disks that were not green!!! You recommendation will be my last go at it before getting rid of the things... I will let the forum knows how it go once I find the time to get around it. Once again thanks for the support.

A Netgear Readynas will not saturate even a 5400rpm drive, they have very low read/write speeds compared to a conventional computer (partly introduced by the RAID controller) and I doubt your performance issues are caused by the drives.

I've rarely achieved 2MB/S with a ReadyNAS, but easily achieve 11MB/S with other transfers on my network including my FreeNAS.

I need a cheap 2TB drive for streaming videos off my pc to sony blu ray player, but I can't find a better deal then the scan one few days ago yet!

any 2tb disks under £70 for readynas nv+ from the netgear compatibilty list. Cnt find anything under 75

Let me know if you get any luck and most important the performance of the disks with the NAS as probably I need to replace my WD green ones soon.

Do you roughly know what reading speeds over a wired network are you achieving? Thanks

I think the Samsung F4 is the best hdd to go for. I was talking to the Samsung HDD bloke and he told that all F4 with the manufactuering date of Jan 2011 and onwards will have the firmware update.

However the firmware update for the F4 is really easy to do. I did it through a esata express card plugged into my laptop.

Are there any offers on currently anywhere for a 2TB for around £60? I've seen them in the past but can't seem to find any myself right now. :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom