1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap 28" TV for my Mum

Discussion in 'TVs' started by PhilReed, Dec 4, 2004.

1. PhilReed

PhilReed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all,

My mum is looking for a cheap 28" TV in the £170-£220 price range. Shes not bothered about whether its widescreen or not and NOT bothered about any whistles and bells, all she wants is a half decent picture and reliability.

Shes been looking in Index and Argos at Bush, Alba and Beko, none of which seem to be highly regarded by (most) forum members.

Currys have a couple in the price range that might be better buys. A Toshiba 28N33B at £187 and a Matsui 28WN20 widescreen at £159 (curiously the Matsui 28N20 non-widescreen version is £199).

Anybody had experiences of these particular models or the makes at least (we've had very good experiences with Toshiba TVs ourselves)?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest any other good deals out there for her. That's her price range, so its no good me going back to her saying you can't get anything decent under £400 .....

Cheers.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Phil,

Dare I say it, but don't take too much notice of the criticisms of the cheaper sets. :devil:

If the Bush/Alba/Beko's were as good as the Sony/ Panasonic/Toshiba's, then we'd all be buying them. :laugh:

Provided you realise what you're getting, the cheaper models are fine. :lesson:

As an example, I've bought my son a 28" Goodmans for £110 and added a 5 year guarantee for £40.

So, for £150, he's got at least 5 years viewing.

There's no fancy digital processing (some would say that's an advantage!) but it is widescreen, with stereo sound and Fastext.

Result, one happy son (and TG's reputation is intact! :laugh: )

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I would say myself that the cheaper tv`s can be value for the money, to choose between all the cheap tv`s - I would say choose a good retailer who is likley to have a good repair/returns department, or one that is close to home.
    Nigel

4. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dare i ask what model did you buy and whats your thoughts on it? I am looking for a tv without any digital processing :)

5. PhilReed

PhilReed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Good point about the 5 year guarantee TG, especially if its a lesser model. Is £40 for five years typical? Never bothered with them myself cos I'm a chancer :blush: but I thought they were a lot more than that!

Coincidentally Nigel, my Mum lives in Leeds (wot are the odds!). Who would you suggest is a good retailer with a good repair/reurns department?

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Flying Big,

It's a Goodmans GTV69W4, but I doubt you'll find one now, although there's probably the equivalent somewhere.

It was an "end of range, limited stock" item when I bought it last June (hence the very low price).

As was said previously, if you just want a basic widescreen TV, it's excellent value.

Phil,

Since my son watches TV for 24 hours a day (well, it seems like it!) I decided to go for a 5 year guarantee, as such an inexpensive set will be hard pushed to keep going that long. :laugh:

To my delight (remember I'm a TG!), the insurance company base their premiums on price.

Hence only £40 because the TV cost £110. :clap:

Sorry I can't help with the Leeds retailer, but why not look on the web?

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They had some 28" widescreen Goodmans sets in Nettos today. They weren't priced though

8. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I do a lot of work for jones of Oakwood/Wakefield-Leeds Sony center, they do seem to look after their customers.
    Nigel