1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap 28" Philips in Woolies

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RMCF, Sep 2, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Just saw a Philips 28PW6008 TV in Woolworths for £199.99 (believe usual price is £299.99).

I bought this TV approx 6 months ago from Argos for the same price and it is an excellent quality TV in case anyone is in the market for a 28".

2. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you can get a 32inch Pixel Plus for £499 at Currys I wonder if Philips will be manufacturing CRT sets for much longer.....

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Yeah I can see the time when the big manufacturers will ditch CRT sets all together. Perhaps in the next couple of years.

This will be a shame because a lot of the LCD, plasma etc out there can't compete with CRT for picture quality.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a flat TV to hang on my living room wall, but I am not going to buy one while the picture is rubbish. I realise that some are excellent but I can't afford these ones yet!!

I hear so many people talking about how you can buy plasmas for £999 now. Yeah if you want a Matsui, Goodmans, Alba, Tiny etc. A waste of money.

Pity the manufacturers of CRTs did not do more R&D into making them thinner. I can see me having my 36" Panasonic for quite a while.

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Well Smasung have bought out a new slim CRT design and provides a rather good picture too. Probably knocks off a few inches at the rear.

The main problem with slim and flat CRT's is getting an even sweep of electrons from one side of the screen to the other which in turn can cause bad focus and picture distortion.