• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cheap 1080p upscaling DVD players?

Nawty

Established Member
The cheapest I've come across is the new Panasonic S53s @ £100ish but then the next I can find is the £250 Denon.

Is there anything inbetween? Cheers :)

Also, is 1080p really worth worrying about given that my screen is a Plasma (Panny PX70 which is 1080p compatible) as surely when scaled to fit the screen it will still be pretty much the same as 720p?

Peopleselbowpad

Established Member
you have a few options. Oppo 981 rave reviews, Helios H4000 experiences vary and known problems with some TV's, £94.95 from Superfi. Kingwell 6900i, almost identical specs to the H4000 but not heard of anyone actually buying one yet. Available from their site & Ebay.

Depends on your budget, for total value for money go for the Oppo. Their customer service is one of the very best. £189 from crt or £142.00 from Oppo direct from the US and hope to be lucky with customs. Or within Europe http://www.livingcinema.nl/ 259 Euro's plus shipping with no Customs to worry about. Bought from them delivery 3 days from Shipping notice.

cd27idw

Standard Member
Denon DVD1930 is getting a lot of attention; Richer Sounds are doing it for £199 (multiregion), but are sold out in my local store and also online. Other online shops are charging about £230 for a region 2; there's a hack available on eBay for about £8

Regards,

Ian W

Nawty

Established Member
That Oppo looks really interesting, I've never heard of them before. Any ideas on how it compares to the Denon?

The US Oppo site is down atm but with the strong £ it may well be worth a punt on the customs lottery :)

Smurkenstein

Established Member
Is it really worth it...isnt that screen 768...so it will just scale down 1080p? Did I miss something? Surely a 1080i player would be ok...lots more options out there for 1080i....

The Oppo is good, but if you dont need 1080p you could look at its little brother (the 971h, iirc)....

Nawty

Established Member
Well, that's exactly what I was wondering. I only have 768 vertical pixels anyway so why would anything other than 720p be of any benefit?

Smurkenstein

Established Member
Well, that's exactly what I was wondering. I only have 768 vertical pixels anyway so why would anything other than 720p be of any benefit?

I guess if you feed the panel 720, it will have to upscale to 768...so there might be some minor benefit in feeding the set 1080 and letting it scale down. This question might be better answered in the plasma forums.

As for the ps3 v Oppo...there was a thread by a guy (Fvet) comparing ps3 HD to the Oppo981 just yesterday..he had some pictures of the set taken for PQ comparison..you could post the question in there....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440737&page=28

post 411

KevRuss

Established Member
I am suprised nobody has mentioned the denon 1730, the 1930 little brother.

Is there any reason why?

My understanding is that for under £100 this is the upscaler to get? It scales up to 1080i (which most tvs are anyway) but it is only an upscaler. Sounds fine to me:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom