1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chasing Walls

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by dann, Mar 10, 2005.

1. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guy,

I plan to chisel a 40mm by 40mm channel in a load barring wall, The Channel will be 125mm long & running diagonally from just off centre to the bottom left of the wall,
    This is to fit a 32mm Diameter tubing to enable me to change cable if I wish to in the future.

Can someone tell me if this channel will effect the stablility of the walls?

Thanks in Advance

Dan

2. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone??

I hope to start this at the weekend

3. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Go for it!

At 125mm long it doesn't really matter. I've just had a new extension/HT room built and the dividing wall which is by the way is Very stressed :eek: has had a 175mm ish x 125mm lutron back box along with many more cable chases cut into it with the permission of the local distric surveyer.

At the size you mention, have no fear!!!! :devil:

4. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for you advice, will go for it!!

Dan

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    You might want to drill a series of holes to more easily enable the knocking out any masonry and give you a cleaner line (your chisel just 'joins up the dots', in effect). An SDS drill would do that in seconds.

Mike.

6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just a point, although there's nothing to stop you, you shouldn't really channel cables in diagonally. This makes it very very hard for future residents to trace wires. You should go either directly up or down or left or right from where the wires go in, then turn a right angle and run to where the wires come out again.

...if that makes sense.

7. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your advice,

The cables that are running diagonally are only the singnal cables, Power cables are running as they should, Straight up in separate conduit with capping protecting them from anyone drilling into them.
    I was going to run the signal cables diagonally because it would be easier ti pull the cables though or to add new ones, I was also going to draw a plan up and inform any future occupant of where the cables run, do you think this is acceptable, I think the cables I have are not long enough for the other way. I may also remove the cables when we move.

Dann

Attached Files:

8. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Its mainly to protect against people accidentally drilling through power cables so you should be OK.

If you put anything in writing or draw up a plan to give to the next owners, make sure you mention that you did these mods before 2005 because otherwise you might compromise yourself under the new rediculous laws banning DIY electrics.

9. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The power cable is just for the TV & I wll be using the original that came with the TV, This cable will pass through a Flex outlet, to connect to a socket, Because its the original I will be removing it when we move.

I am aware about the changes in the IEE Regs, & have the listed changes at work, I will double check but I think adding additional socket does not need certification as long as it is not in the kitchen or bathroom, I work with a few sparkies so I can get their advice if needed.

Basically most of the work will be removed when we go unless the next buyers request that it stays.

As long as 125mm x 40mm channel is ok i will start this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice

Dann

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30,166
    125mm = 5 inches (or thereabouts), 40x40x125mm sounds like a cutout for a double socket patress box not a channel up the wall to pull cables through, are you sure you didn't mean 125cm for the length of the channel (ie about 4 feet). I'd definately be reticent about cutting a 40x40mm channel for 125 cm diagonally across a structural wall. Of course if you meant 125mm ignore what i just said.

Dave

11. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Regmarch,
    thanks fro spotting the mistake, I did mean 125cm. Do you think this would be a problem then?

12. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to add from the previous post.
    Now that I have posted the correct measurments for the channel (125cm x 40mm x 40mm). SORRY EVERYONE. :oops:

If this is now thought of too deep, How deep do you recommend I go? I was hoping to be able to remove the cables by putting them In this 32mm Pipe, but If this is too deep I may as well cut a smaller channel & leave them I there.

what do you think?

13. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Whats the wall made from and how thick is it?

14. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The wall is 130mm thick & I think it is solid brick, Built in 1967 if that helps.

Looking at it again I think I have a better way of routing the pipe:

1 20mm Dia conduit for the power cable running striaght up for 900mm, 25mm deep.
    1 35mm Dia Waste pipe for the rest of the cables running striaght up for 900mm, 40mm deep.

These channels would be running 20mm apart & both will have switch boxes at either end.

Sorry to keep changing the original question.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

15. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    At 130mm thick, your wall is likely to be a 100 or 110 wide brick, with plaster each side.

IIRC, recommended chases are max 1/5 (ie 20mm) of the structural wall (ie brick). But it does depend on the location of the chase and if the wall is loadbearing.

32 conduit seems too wide for this purpose. Can't you use 20 or 25mm - eg standard plastic overflow pipe?

16. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi woody, thanks for your reply, I could use 20mm conduit but will not be able to remove the cables unless I run 3 or more lengths, (which is probably worse than running 1 32mm one.

Thanks for your help, will have to bury them in for good I think, when all bunch togehter they are 25mm Dia ( not including the AC Supply).

Bearing in mind these will only be signal cables, Are they any restrictions on running these outside conduit?

thanks for your help

17. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Conduit is only used domestically to faciliate easy cable installation and subsequent replacement. If these cables are to be permanent, then I cant see why you should not just gouge the plaster.

Power cable should run vertically or horizontally from wall outlets to aid tracing them. I am not too sure on running your A/c cable next to signal cables though as this may cause some interferance.

18. dann

dann
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will be running the AC supply vertically only, same as the signal cables but will be at least 25mm apart in a separate channel, So there will be 2 25mm channels now, due to the info you have given me.

Does this sound OK?

Thanks alot for your help, Do you think that the majority of people with plasmas have buried permantly, Or ignore regulations?

Regards

Dan