1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chasing sunsets

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jools230575, May 15, 2005.

1. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people

Just been out chasing the sunset trying to get a shot.

Trying to work out how best to achieve the effect that I am after.

Here is one the shots I took: Sunset

I kinda have in my head what went wrong and I was wondering if others may like to chime in.

The shot was taken with my EOS 350D and kit lens.

The lens had a warm-up filter attached to it (i think one part where i went wrong) and then I used a Neutral Density Soft Graduate 0.6 in front of the warm-up.

I wanted the sky to be darker than it is. I take it I use a 0.9 to get it darker but still keeping the lower part of the picture as what the eye sees.

What is the effect that I am after? Well. I love Lee Frost's books and there is very nice shot on P46/ 47 of his Night & Low-Light Photography book. Sorry difficult to really explain it otherwise :(

Any and all critisms welcomed :D

Oh. I know the focusing ain't great. I was only playing around

Jools

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Have you thought of making two exposures and combining them in photoshop, one for a nice dramatic, dark sky and one for the foreground.

There was an article in a magazine I was reading the other day which suggested shooting in RAW and using the exposure compensation to output 2 separate files, one where the sky was right and one where the foreground was. these can then be combined using layer masks in PS. Worked quite well and was pretty straightforward when I gave it a try.

Not sure this is what you were after but hope its helpful.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice Seany

I was after the reverse of what you have done

While photographing the sunset you still retain the brightness of the foreground. In other words you try to capture what the naked eye is seeing

5. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Landscape photography isnt my thing really (I wish it was) but I think you want to do something like this. I stress 'think'.

Take a meter reading from the sky and one from the foreground. Lets say that there is a four stop difference between them. Split the difference and then use a 2 stop graduated filter for the sky. That will/should give you an even exposure across the frame. Obviously if you wanted the sky darker or lighter than the foreground use a different strength ND filter or use two together.

6. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By chance I had a play with that idea this morning:

Ringers Lane

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    @Jeremy...Like that a lot! I'll be chasing sunsets from now on ;-)

8. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeremy

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to achieve last night.

At the moment I do not have and can afford a light meter :(

What did you do to achieve the photo?

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think he just did what I suggested jools ;)

If you shoot in RAW format you can do exposure correction before editing. one suggested way of doing what you want would be to shoot the image with the exposure set so that you don't blow out any of the highlights. opent this file with your RAW viewer. set the exposure compensation so that the foreground is exposed how you want it (the sky will be way too bright now). send this to PS and do a save as with a name like blah_foreground. open the original RAW file again but this time set the exposure so that the skyis nice and detailed (the foreground will now be very dark). send this to PS and save it with an appropriate name.

All you have to so then is combine the two images, press ctrl-A to select all of one of them (say the sky one), then copy this. paste it as a new layer into the other file (foreground one). This will now be on top and the only thing thats visible, youneed to do something to get rid of the parts you don't want and keep the ones you do, have a look in PS's help for how to use layer masks, that should get you started with it.

HTH
    owain

10. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much the way Owain said. It's from the same RAW file, converted into a TIFF with the exposure set to make the most of the sky, and another TIFF file to show the ground clearly. Then using Photoshop, I loaded the dark picture with the nice sky into the background, and the picture with the clear ground as a layer. Then with careful use of the 'Eraser Tool' I removed the overexposed sky from the clear ground picture, to reveal the nice sky underneath.

Attached Files:

11. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Excellent work there Jeremy...

however I was trying to work out what was wrong with the image and now I've got it... it's too compressed...

Any chance of uploading a less compressed version? Whats photobuckets size limit?

Less than 100k for a 1200x800 image is just too little!!

12. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew, Photobuckets size limit is 250K. I've uploaded a 210K version HERE

13. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Here are 3 I took whilst on holiday in Egypt. Looking over to the west bank of the Nile.

14. SnowCat

SnowCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1