• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Chasing solid wall advice?

Canti1982

I have recently moved into a new place and intend to have all my kit located in a large cupboard between two angled chimney breasts. The cables from which I intend to run down into the crawling space in the floor and along to the area of wall where the TV is.

I want to chase the wall out up to the tv but was not sure the best way to go about it. The flat is from the 20's and I don't know if the wall is single brick or double so don't want to chase too deep into the wall. Neighbour would not be too please when they see an angle grinder appear through the wall :).

Any suggestions for cable gutters? I assume just cheap PVC boxing with a capping strip.

The cables I intend to run are 1 hdmi (switching is done on my amp), 1 iec power cable and one ir cable with an eye.

If anyone has any advice as to how best go about doing it, it would be very appreciated.

Edit: On a separate note if anyone has any thoughts as to how to support a pair of totem arro floorstanders from getting knocked over by my cats that would also help. Thinking about adding an l bracket to the back plate where the speaker terminals are and then link that to a bracket on the wall. Not the most elegant but not sure how else I could do it.

Last edited:

bryanchicken

i'd run more cables than that while you are doing it. At least a couple of HDMIs in case of failure. Maybe 3 cat5/6 and a coax or 2.

How deep is the plaster/bonding over the brick?

Canti1982

Yeah running an extra hdmi some cat6 and a coax might be an idea, was just trying to keep it minimized to save space.

Not sure how deep it is yet as have not cut into it, will have to check but I suspect not that deep.

bryanchicken

Yeah running an extra hdmi some cat6 and a coax might be an idea, was just trying to keep it minimized to save space.

Not sure how deep it is yet as have not cut into it, will have to check but I suspect not that deep.

I'm in a 30s house and the plaster+bonding is 2cm deep. With that much to play with you can get the cables in without having to chisel out actual brick which makes it a lot easier. Granted you probably won't be able to add in trunking that will enable you to pull cables in the future

Canti1982

Will have to make a test hole and see how thick it is, hoping it's thicker than I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom