chasing power cable behind wall?

Rich182

Standard Member
Starting My first DIY project. Have done a lot of reading and am ready to go but I am still a little confused about whether I can chase a power cable behind my wall. I have found many sources who advise not to do this as it is in breach of regulations but this has written by people in the US, does the same code apply in the UK?

If you shouldn't run a tv power cord behind the wall what's the best alternative. Should I change the nearest socket to a switched fuse spur and run this up to the TV and use a junction box to connect it to the tv power cord?

I found this product which would be ideal but there doesn't seem to be a UK equivalent.

PowerBridge In-Wall Power Extension System Home

Ronski

I put a socket behind the TV run off of a fused switched spur so I could switch it off if need be.

Last edited:

Geps

This:
Recessed TV Socket, Recessed TV Wall Socket Type -Sync Box

Is the UK version of the PowerBridge.

As Ronski, just put a Fused Connection Unit at the bottom and then run a length of 1.5mm2 or larger twin and earth up to a single unswitched socket.

I'd recommend you either do two chases or two bits of trunking in a single chase if you have any signal wires to run up to the TV.

Rich182

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses guys. As the TV will be mounted on a brick wall it's going to be a pain to channel out enough space for a switched fuse spur. My plan to get around this was:

1.Install a switched fuse spur at socket height.
2.Use this spur to power a flush mounted junction box behind the TV (cable is recessed in the wall)
3.Cut the plug of the TV power lead and connected the lead to the JB.

Would this be safe?

Geps

No, you can't just connect the cables straight to a typical junction box as you have to provide some means of providing strain relief to the cable.

If you look at a downlighter junction box:
Hager Ashley J501 Downlighter Junction / Connector Box | eBay

You'll notice that there are plastic bands that take the strain off the electrical terminals.

If it were me, I'd probably just use a 25mm surface mount box with flex outlet:
Marbo 1-Gang Surface Pattress Box White 25mm | Marbo White | Screwfix.com
and
MK Logic Plus 1-Gang 20A Flex Outlet Plate White | MK Logic Plus White | Screwfix.com

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

DAZZLEHALEY

Have a google for safe zones in an electrical installation.

Although if you are not sure it would be worth contacting an electrician it shouldn't cost more than about £50-60 and you would be safe on the knowledge it is done correctly.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No probs - have managed to duplicate other folks posts/advice many times :)

Joe

Rich182

Standard Member
Thanks for all the advice guys. It's been a complete pain in the ar$e to channel the hdmi and speaker cables to the tv as there is such a small gap between the wall and plaster, means I won't be able to run conduit unless I channel out the solid wall behind the plaster which is a big job. Regarding the power cable I am getting someone in to do it so I know that it's been done properly and I don't have to channel any more cables into the wall.

Just need to find some nice speakers to mount with the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom