1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chase play/timeslip etc.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul_Lee, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Paul_Lee

Paul_Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,
    Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I am still learning about the various DVD formats. I am nearly settled on buying a Toshiba RDXS-32 because of its timeslip/simultaneous record and playback. From what I have heard from the newsgroups etc., I thought only machines that had a HDD and/or DVD-RAM could do this.... and then I saw a review for a Pioneer machine (DVD+R,+RW) that could playback/record at the sime time!

Is this feature not exclusive to HDD/DVD-RAM machines then?

Best wishes

Paul

2. mokas

mokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same for me , i always knew only DVD-Ram or HDD can do that , since i have to change my Recorder for a Pioneer i saw he can do that with DVD-RW , i read a review on a french web site who say that they are ( for now ) the only one who can do that , they added 2 memory for be able to do that :smashin:

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Hard-drives are plenty fast enough to do time-slip so mostly offer this function.
    DVD-RAM is able to do time-slip and always has on set-top recorders.
    DVD-RW is able to do time-slip now it has reached 2 and 4 speed.

This is nothing really special regarding time slip, as long as the media can support around 22 Mbits/sec writing (that is 2 speed DVD-RW), then it can keep up with doing two things at once, recording a bit, reading a bit, recording a bit etc. A buffer just keeps things running for those split seconds the laser is moving between areas of the disc.

+RW isn't able to do time-slip because it is saddled with using the DVD Video format in set-top recorders and that was never designed for real-time recording or things like time-slip. +RW could support it if Philips gave the option to use the DVD Forums VR format on its set-top recorders, but likely the DVD Forum will not licence them this or Philips doesn't want to pay for it.

While all DVD-RAM models support time-slip on DVD-RAM, you need to check with DVD-RW recorders for time-slip supoort (all current Pioneer models do), as not all models, including the current Sony range support time-slip on DVD-RW.

Regards

Philip

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timeslip is only possible with -RW(VR).Most recorders that offer other formats,like RAM add only -RW(VIDEO) for compatibility with other players,and VIDEO mode cannot perform Timeslip.

5. Paul_Lee

Paul_Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm utterly confused! I recall reading a Toshiba DVD recorder review last Christmas (it wasn't the RDXS-32, but the preceding one)... it offered Timeslip, but could only record to -R and -RAM!

Cheers

Paul

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timeslip is possible with -RW(VR) and RAM

7. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, this may confuse you more but I'll give it a go anyway!

The -RW format can be recorded in two different modes:

a) When using the “Video Recording” mode, (VR for short), a –RW disc has exactly the same logical format as RAM. It is only the physical layout of the discs that is different.

b) When –RW is recorded using “Video” mode it has the same logical format as +RW.

VR mode is more sophisticated than Video mode and allows highly flexible editing and clever functions like Timeslip, etc. The downside of VR mode is that it isn’t very compatible with the majority of DVD players currently out there.

The Toshiba RDXS-32 allows you to record –RW only in Video mode (ie not in VR). However it can also record to RAM which is always in VR mode. I believe that the JVC gives you the option of recording –RW in either VR or Video mode.

Regards

OARDVD