Charlton V Man Utd

magicman72

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone having problems with the 5.1 on SSHD2 tonight?
the centre channel ivolume is very low I can hardly hear it, surrounds are non existent.
all other channels are fine.

No problems here - full 5.1. I have found that I need to turn up the rear speakers to really get the full surround effect - that was certainly the case on Sunday. Seems a lot better mix tonight.

Also noticed that the nearside Steadicam on the touchline is in HD tonight as well. Wonder if they're testing the greater wireless bandwidth as its not cabled (unlike the World Cup Steadicams).

Isn't it funny each time Ronaldo gets the ball :D

I do prefer a flood lit game... just seems a more lush picture.

sirees said:
the centre channel ivolume is very low I can hardly hear it, surrounds are non existent.

I am suffering from the same, I am getting the 5.1 on HD, but the commentary is very low, switching to SS2 the commentary comes alive, ?????????????????.

Come on United................

sirees said:

Yes, the centre was quite to begin with.
But either they increased it, or I got used to it, because I had forgotten until I read your post

I couldnt really make out the commentary because it was so drowned out by the stadium noises. Got better towards the end of the 1st half! :thumbsup:

The grass doesnt look right to me,its not clear has anyone else noticed it?it wasnt like this on sunday during utd vs fulham on prem plus

Look at the Arsenal game on ITV4 and see how good HD really does look!!!!

Also, I know what you mean about the grass - think it might be to do with the cut of the pitch as I have noticed in HD that this affects how the grass looks from the main camera.

ykhan16 said:
I couldnt really make out the commentary because it was so drowned out by the stadium noises. Got better towards the end of the 1st half! :thumbsup:

switch to SS2 and check out the sound defference on normal tv, the commentary is much clearer, crowd or no crowd....

It could be my set up in that I can increase the volume of my central front speaker, but I have no problems with the DD sound on SSHD2 - nice and clear and merging nicely into the crowd sound.

i noticed the grass tonight, panning across the half way line was awfull, ghosting all over the place and the grass turned into one big green block.
The behind the net stuff was lush tho !

philip birdi said:
The grass doesnt look right to me,its not clear has anyone else noticed it?it wasnt like this on sunday during utd vs fulham on prem plus

Yes, it full of digital artefacts, due to the fact that the data rate has been reduced. Say goodbye to excellent quality. For that, you have to tune to the BBC. Let's hope they keep their data rate up.

I think people should remember this match was played in pouring rain.

Surely that had some effect on the perceived picture quality - trying to compress HD rain :eek:

Gladders said:
Look at the Arsenal game on ITV4 and see how good HD really does look!!!!

Especially the bit when ITV managed to lose picture and sound for about 10mins:mad: Missing the first Arsenal goal in the process:mad:

mark800 said:
Yes, it full of digital artefacts, due to the fact that the data rate has been reduced. Say goodbye to excellent quality. For that, you have to tune to the BBC. Let's hope they keep their data rate up.

The data rate has not been reduced.

dns said:
The data rate has not been reduced.

So what has happened then? There are reports all over this forum that the quality is reducing on sports and movies - that artefacts are now clearly seen on everything.

It seems that games at night dont look as good on HD as the day games.. and yep there was a lot of rain last night at the Valley.

I thought the picture and sound were excellent. I do think people are maybe expecting too much. Just a quick flick over to SS1 satisfies my mind that I can now watch football on a 50" screen with as near to a perfect picture as possible.

The PQ for me was poor, the grass was like a disco, changing shades constantly.

Could this be down to bad weather?

PQ is good for me, I had the same problem with the very low volume on the centre channel.

The main thing that bugs me at the moment is the giant and bold dog for the score, I wish they would tone it down a bit!!

I went from watching Arsenal on ITV 4 last night , to Man Utd on SS1 HD and whilst i could see the artifacts on screen it still looked amazing compared to ITV.

hottstuff said:
I went from watching Arsenal on ITV 4 last night , to Man Utd on SS1 HD and whilst i could see the artifacts on screen it still looked amazing compared to ITV.

Exactly, it's never going to be perfect but it's definitely a major step up from what we were used to. £10.00 per month worth maybe not but we are moving in the right direction.

hottstuff said:

Anything looks amazing compared to ITV PQ. :thumbsdow

And so, we accept sub standard HD with blocking and artefacts, just because SD is broadcast much worse than it should be

But you say that like we didn't settle for SUB-STANDARD SD.lol
Which we did , just we expect HD to be perfect , when in reality , it will never be.

For me it's not about how bad ITV is, it's about how bad SKY is compared to BBC. The box is clearly capable of displaying a great picture, SKY just won't do justice to the HD badge:nono: . I for one felt the picture last night was dreadful when the ball was in the top half of the pitch. As the ball came closer to the camera, more detail was resolved and the blocking as a result was reduced. I also has the problem with the low volume from the centre channel.

Tommo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom