Charlie & Choc not in HD

Bonjourdel

Standard Member
"Charlie and the chocolate factory" is not being broadcast in HD in August according to Digiguide and the Sky magazine.

This is just another big movie premiere to add to the likes of "Batman Begins" and "Alexander" which Sky have not broadcast in HD.

I am disgusted by this. Also, after emailing Sky 3 times to ask them about this over a period of 2 weeks, they have not even given me a response yet. Obviously their customer service is a complete shambles as well!

When will this situation change?
 

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Which email address did you use?
 

Starburst

Novice Member
I don't think there is any question that certain studios and/or distributors are not releasing the HD rights for their movies and given the "basic" SKY press release about the removal of Universal movies from SBO HD I don't think you'll get any informative answer.
 

eddy73

Novice Member
I think this is due to the fact that HD-DVD players are going to be released in Europe within the next few months and films like Batman Begins and Charlie and the Choc factory are going to be some of the first titles to play on them. If you've already seen them on Sky HD then the studios are thinking that your not going to buy them on hd dvd.
 

Bonjourdel

Standard Member
zAndy1 - I used the [email protected] email address. After about a week they replied saying that they had received my email and would send a response soon.

However, over 2 and a half weeks for a company like Sky is appalling customer service and frankly not good enough.
 

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I've found I get a reply fairly quickly saying they've received my email and will respond shortly, after that I don't hear a thing unless I chase em up (often more than once)
 

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Couldn't HCC approach Sky for an official comment on this?
 

Bonjourdel

Standard Member
What or who is "HCC" Andy?

I would like to get an official statement from Sky certainly. For me the movies are a big reason I subscribed to SkyHD and am paying £10 per month extra. I do not feel I am getting value for money at the moment.
 

byron_hinson

Well-known Member
If sky go ahead and say that movie companies are not releasing the rights for HD content then people will still keep moaning, it isn't a big surprise now with the upcoming releases of HD and Blu-Ray movie players. Companies like Universal are some of the main backers with releases like "Batman Begins", even Battlestar Galactica is coming out on HD-DVD, another one that isn't showing in HD on Sky.
 

Bonjourdel

Standard Member
I can see where you are coming from.

However, Sky have been planning HD for years now. Why haven't they already got HD movie deals in place with all their studios?

Also, it would be interesting to know if some of these films have been shown in HD in the USA yet?
 

Ellispa

Active Member
jheward said:
I can see where you are coming from.

However, Sky have been planning HD for years now. Why haven't they already got HD movie deals in place with all their studios?

Also, it would be interesting to know if some of these films have been shown in HD in the USA yet?
Well, non OAR versions of Batman Begins and Alexander have been shown on the USA HD channels.

Maybe Sky are pushing for OAR and being told that the masters they can have are only 16:9.

Doesn't stop the buggers showing cropped versions of Die Hard with a Veneance and Independance Day, but I guess they are just all that is available to Sky at the moment.
 

mremulator

Novice Member
jheward said:
What or who is "HCC" Andy?
Home Cinema Choice Magazine.
 

Starburst

Novice Member
jheward said:
I can see where you are coming from.

However, Sky have been planning HD for years now. Why haven't they already got HD movie deals in place with all their studios?

Also, it would be interesting to know if some of these films have been shown in HD in the USA yet?




HD-DVD and Blu-ray have been planned for years so it's just as likely that certain parties have always held the position that SKY would not get HD masters at all or with conditions SKY could/would not meet (like no analogue output) and just like HD-DVD and Blu-ray the platform launches without 100% support.

Serenity has been shown in the US and Canada in HD but no DD5.1 soundtrack but then again it had already been released on HD-DVD with a 5.1 track so perhaps not a good example.
 
F

Family Guy

Guest
With all due respect, 4 out of 5 of the next Saturday night premiers are being shown in HD (possibly more - I've yet to see the September schedule) and your complaining that 1 isn't...?:rolleyes:

I'm "disgusted" by things like Sky not getting the payments right for us early adopters and that I have to pay double bubble next month...I'm certainly not "disgusted" that for at least one Saturday night out of the next 5, I have to watch a film in SD...Boo Hoo...;)
 

yourname00

Standard Member
I totally agree, and it's not just 1 film not being shown. The last couple of months it's been over 50% of the Premiere films not being shown in HD.

No Batman Begins, no Machinist, no Be Cool, no Alexander and it's contiuning with no Charlie and the Choc factory.

It's a lot of the bigger films that we aren't getting.

The thing is as well what I notice is when they're advertising these films they say also in HD. But when you check the planner it isn't. They did that with Alexander and one of the other ones I forget which.
 

Bonjourdel

Standard Member
Maybe "disgusted" was a little harsh but why don't you try to respond in a mature manner next time. Your post was frankly insulting in its tone which I don't appreciate.

Also, this is not just a one off. As I mentioned in my original post other premieres have only been shown in SD also.
 
F

Family Guy

Guest
yourname00 said:
. They did that with Alexander and one of the other ones I forget which.
No they didn't. I distinctly remember no HD announcement at the end of Alexander because I was waiting for it.

OK, so Sky HD has been going for 2 months now and 50% of the Saturday night premieres haven't been in HD and 4 out of the next 5 are...? i make that 75% of Saturday night premiers broadcast in HD - and for a country that dosen't even have HD DVD or Blu Ray as yet, I'd say that ain't bad...
 
F

Family Guy

Guest
jheward said:
Maybe "disgusted" was a little harsh but why don't you try to respond in a mature manner next time. Your post was frankly insulting in its tone which I don't appreciate.

Also, this is not just a one off. As I mentioned in my original post other premieres have only been shown in SD also.
So you find "with all due respect" insulting...?

How about if I started it with "wind your neck and stop moaning"? Maybe you'd find that a little less insulting...?;) :D
 

Bonjourdel

Standard Member
Family Guy said:
I'm certainly not "disgusted" that for at least one Saturday night out of the next 5, I have to watch a film in SD...Boo Hoo...;)
Do you not find the "Boo Hoo" part patronising at all? All I am saying is that surely you can respond in a more polite manner.
 

yourname00

Standard Member
Family Guy said:
No they didn't. I distinctly remember no HD announcement at the end of Alexander because I was waiting for it.

OK, so Sky HD has been going for 2 months now and 50% of the Saturday night premieres haven't been in HD and 4 out of the next 5 are...? i make that 75% of Saturday night premiers broadcast in HD - and for a country that dosen't even have HD DVD or Blu Ray as yet, I'd say that ain't bad...
It was the week before they showed Alexander it said also in HD, the adverts closer to the Saturday they changed it. It's not a complaint really just seemed odd.

50% or 75% in HD, it depends what period you look at the fact is you said he was only moaning about 1 film, I listed 5 Premieres that weren't being shown in HD and show no sign of being shown in HD. I think their might of been a few others even that weren't shown.

Why should any of the Premieres not be in HD, Sky pride themselves on Premiere films and their HD service, they never said that we'd only be getting some Premiere films in HD. It's not good, and I don't see how anyone can claim it's acceptable.
 
F

Family Guy

Guest
jheward said:
Do you not find the "Boo Hoo" part patronising at all? All I am saying is that surely you can respond in a more polite manner.
Not with the ;) after it, no.

I could have followed it with a whole bunch of smilies that really would have made it an insulting remark...:mad: for one...or :lease: , even :boring: would have been a bit more insulting than ;)















;)
 
F

Family Guy

Guest
yourname00 said:
It was the week before they showed Alexander it said also in HD, the adverts closer to the Saturday they changed it. It's not a complaint really just seemed odd.

50% or 75% in HD, it depends what period you look at the fact is you said he was only moaning about 1 film, I listed 5 Premieres that weren't being shown in HD and show no sign of being shown in HD. I think their might of been a few others even that weren't shown.

Why should any of the Premieres not be in HD, Sky pride themselves on Premiere films and their HD service, they never said that we'd only be getting some Premiere films in HD. It's not good, and I don't see how anyone can claim it's acceptable.
Studios. HD DVD around the corner. Why would the studio allow Sky to show a HD master of Batman Begins when Warners are oing to use it to entice us to buy into the new format..?
 

yourname00

Standard Member
Family Guy said:
Studios. HD DVD around the corner. Why would the studio allow Sky to show a HD master of Batman Begins when Warners are oing to use it to entice us to buy into the new format..?
If that's the case then Sky should release a statement, but Batman Begins has been out on DVD for a long time, perhaps sky just aren't willing to pay the extra to the studios to show the HD version.

The studios still have all upcoming DVDs that can be released in HD that have a however many months delay between DVD release and Sky showing.

With these films we're getting the DVD delay, the HD DVD/Blueray release delay and then presumable however many months they will want to keep them on HD DVD before they let Sky have them. At that rate we might get Batman Begins in HD sometime next year?
 
F

Family Guy

Guest
I believe they did release a statement when King Kong was pulled from the SBO HD schedule...but I didn't see it.

Makes good marketing sense to me (by the studios's) to not let Sky have the HD version before it's out on HD DVD...even if I don't like it.

I waited long enough for HD TV...even if BB dosen't appear before next year, there's plenty of films that will. Start Wars I, II & III for starters...:smashin:
 

Starburst

Novice Member
yourname00 said:
If that's the case then Sky should release a statement, but Batman Begins has been out on DVD for a long time, perhaps sky just aren't willing to pay the extra to the studios to show the HD version.

The studios still have all upcoming DVDs that can be released in HD that have a however many months delay between DVD release and Sky showing.

With these films we're getting the DVD delay, the HD DVD/Blueray release delay and then presumable however many months they will want to keep them on HD DVD before they let Sky have them. At that rate we might get Batman Begins in HD sometime next year?




zAndy1 did get something more than the usual form reply and he posted it in this thread.

It implies that the HD masters are not being offered however any good PR department will always point the finger elsewhere:)
So we have a case where the HD masters are not on offer perhaps due to the impending launch of HD-DVD, given that Universal are the key player in that format and in the withdrawl of HD stuff that is a reasonable explanation.
Of course there is also no doubt that SKY were and perhaps still are in ongoing negotiations with studios/distributers to aquire HD masters of movies they have the SD rights to both for PPV and subscription.
That could be simply down to a conflict over price or perhaps the analogue component on the SKY+ HD which I am sure the studios would love to see removed and to use the UK as the DRM/HDCP proving ground.

We simply do not know if one or more of these factors are in play or it's something totally different.

As for Batman Begins, well I expect it a couple of months after Tosh launch their UK HD-DVD player:)
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Top Bottom