Charging PHEV with Zappi

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by radar2018, Jun 29, 2018.

1. radar2018

radar2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have moved this here from Energy Saving as it may be more appropriate
    I was wondering if anyone with a NIRO PHEV were using a Zappy charger together with Solar panels, and if so how reliable is it.
    I know that it is great for EV's and works well, but PHEV's I have not heard about anyone using Zappi
    I am going to get a charger supplied with the car and it was a thought that I might be better off with a Zappy to fully utilize the solar.
    For all I know it may not be possible due to fluctuation of power, but I might as well find out now.

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    You've copied it here, which forum do you want it in?

Zappi is completely crap for any EV that needs a minimal input before accepting a charge. Check what the minimum input a Niro will take.

3. radar2018

radar2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The max power is 3.3 kw for the Niro, the Zappi cuts out at 1.6 kw, what I need to know is can Zappi restart the charge if the power drops below 1.6 kw
    How do I delete the other post

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    I've requested a mod in there delete it for you :thumbsup:

I think that it will, but the question is whether the Niro will recognise that there is current present. For instance, The Zoe, as I understand it, won't recognise that power is present if it drops below 2.5kW. It also seems very hit and miss whether Zappi works as intended with different models of EV. My problem is that my excess generation never seems to get above 1kW so Zappi would never send anything to the car if set to PV mode (or whatever it's called). :rolleyes:

5. radar2018

radar2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks
    I will check my excess generation over the next few weeks to get a better idea of what I am getting, but the diverter can heat the water tank before 12 o'clock, but then again it is not always above 1.6 kw