Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Charging Ipod mini & Shuffle.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Lynford, May 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lynford

Lynford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the problem I have is that we are going on holiday soon and we both want to take our MP3 players - I have an ipod Mini and my G/F has a Shuffle.
    Charging my Mini is no problem as I have the Firewire / mains adaptor. How to charge the Shuffle is the problem, which I have looked up and found 2 options, these being the battery pack or the USB / Mains adaptor.

Rather than spend £25 on one of these, would it be possible to connect the Shuffle to my Firewire / Mains adaptor, using a USB to Firewire adaptor ?

Is there such thing as a USB to Firewire and would it be ok to do this - ie, no power problems ? Also, if it exists, would anyone know where to get such an adaptor in the UK please ?

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

2. Lynford

Lynford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone ?

:lease:

3. Lynford

Lynford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ?

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll have difficulty finding a Firewire to USB adaptor, as the two interfaces aren't compatible without interfacing circuitry - it's not just a physical connector problem.

However, it *is* feasible to knock up an adaptor that just uses the power connections of the mini's Firewire charger, and links them directly to a USB socket for the shuffle. You could just buy a Firewire plug and USB socket from the likes of Maplin (product codes L55AZ and L51AZ respectively) and cobble them together with two-core lead. If you fancy taking up your soldering iron and doing the job yourself let me know and I'll give you links to connector pin details.