Chargemaster Polar Network Bought by BP

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by PRESSTOG, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Just saw this on Twitter...can only be a good thing if they install them to every BP station...others may follow :thumbsup:

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    Or a bad thing if they roll out (say) 35 pence per unit across the entire suite the sort of price you might see at a Motorway services (vs. Polar's present nil or 10.8ppu for "Plus" members).

4. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I think BP like the sound of a membership system its what makes Polar Different so I doubt it would cut off its nose, but will hopefully introduce a PROPER PAYG system to sit alongside the Polar Plus, (As in Contactless payment). Although part of me expects to see the PAYG part of the system to be the BPme app they are pushing to pay for fuel at the moment

5. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I was thinking more from a accessibility point of view, but I’d imagine all chargepoints will start costing in the future.

6. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Free Charging "There is no free lunch" wont be viable in the future. Unless the site providing it is using it as a loss leader to get you through the door.

To be honest from what I have heard today I have no faith in any progress going forward..

I have been at a Charging Solutions Conference all day listening to people talk about the future of Charging in the UK, and I can honestly say I came out with my head in my hands.

It was like a comedy episode of Dragons Den!! With companies who have got funding for some of the most bizarre schemes you can imagine.

An AirBnB type system where private EV owners can rent out their charger to passers by who need a charge. The guy presenting did not have any idea of how much energy a domestic charger can supply or how long an EV would need to be parked on your drive, or how it would be billed.. Just that he would be charging a fee for his middleman services

An Industrial Architecture firm who were promoting a modular Wooden 4 bay rapid charge system for blocks of flats etc, which were lovely and great looking and sustainable etc etc, but at 7 Meeeliion Pounds for 4 bays!!.. And the guy had no idea how they would manage dwell times on the chargers or how it would be enforced, all he could come up with is well batteries are getting bigger so people will need to stay on them longer.

2 Energy Firms one of which was saying the grid was more than capable of handling mass EV takeup, the other saying it wasnt sniping and bitching at each other.

A German Roaming company that offers a premium service that allows you to use thier RFID to roam across multiple charge networks in europe that wants to do the same here, but then mentioned all the Major UK networks had shown them the door..

Pop up roadside chargers in the pavement.. With no network and no prototypes but some basic computer renders. And when pushed well if we put 20 in a street and everyone plugs in they would only be about 1Kwh!

And on and on in the same vein. But the Buffet Lunch was lovely and I got some free pens ;-)

There has been a gold rush for grants and funding, but honestly I dont see anything solid to move this out to mainstream for those with no home charging solution.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    But was it a free lunch? :devil::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Ah yes but Nottingham Council paid £150 for me to go to the conference so not so free for them.. See someone always picks up the bill ;-)

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    BTW, am I right that Podpoint already have a scheme whereby you can lend your podpoint to a fellow podpoint owner visiting your area for a small negotiable fee?

10. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Not heard of that and not sure how it would work, Podpoint do 2 levels of charger one with a TCU in it so it can report back usage via the app and also a dumb one.. Same as Chargemaster, so technically it would be possible for them to track data on how much power is used, but not sure how they could restrict access or bill as there is no RFID reader in either Podpoint or Chargemaster home unit as standard

We have our home charger on Plugshare and advise people they can use if if in need at no cost to reach a major charger, only had one taker in 3 years.. Personally dubious that any sharing service will work unless you have a prime parking position available at a location someone wants to spend time

Both of my 7kw posts have a key to lock them to stop access but I always leave them open, I always figure if someone is that desperate they want to sit on my drive for a couple of hours to get 14kw of free leccy they are welcome to it ;-) Will even make them a tea and a hobnob if I am in.

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    That may be what I was thinking of...

12. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Chargemaster has just sent out an Email stating thier commitment to the Polar Network but also stating the Big Push is now to get Rapids on the 1200 Strong BP Forecourts, hopefully this will see the end of the push to put rapid chargers at out of the way hotels and leisure centres where they really need destination chargers

BP to acquire Chargemaster in landmark moment for electric vehicles

All our customers are incredibly important to us, so we are incredibly excited to share the news with you that BP, one of the world’s largest energy companies has entered into an agreement to purchase Chargemaster. The acquisition will form part of BP’s advanced mobility strategy and transition to a lower carbon future.

The coming together of the UK’s leading forecourt convenience retailer and its leading electric vehicle charging company complements BP’s strategy to deliver a market-leading fuel and convenience offer, and Chargemaster’s commitment to continue to rollout electric vehicle infrastructure at pace.

The creation of BP Chargemaster is great news for electric vehicle drivers, as it will deliver significant investment in the further deployment of EV infrastructure across the country, with a focus on ultra-fast rapid chargers. BP’s 1,200 retail locations represent a fantastic opportunity to expand Chargemaster’s existing network of more than 6,500 charging points in the UK.

BP Chargemaster will continue to operate and rapidly grow the UK’s largest public charging network, POLAR, as well as providing charging solutions for homes, workplaces and other locations. BP is committed to be the fuel provider of choice – no matter what cars its customers drive – and we are looking forward to working in partnership to develop exciting new and innovative solutions for electric vehicle drivers. Customers do not need to take any action and this announcement will not have any impact on your current POLAR subscription.

We believe the acquisition of Chargemaster by BP marks a true milestone in the move towards low carbon motoring in the UK. We are truly excited to enter into a new era backed by the strength and scale of BP, which will help us maintain our market-leading position and grow the national POLAR charging network to support the large range of exciting new electric vehicles that are coming to market in the next couple of years.

As a global energy business, BP has significant renewable energy interests, with a net generating capacity of 1.4GW of wind power in the US, as well as managing around 2GW of solar capacity through Lightsource BP, Europe’s largest solar development company. BP estimates that solar could generate 10% of total global power by 2040.

We believe that this new development is excellent news for the EV industry and for all our customers. It will enable us to continue the rapid growth of our charging network and enhance the overall service we provide for customers.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]

David Martell
    Chief Executive, Chargemaster

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    I'm sure you are right. However, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Shell were charging 50p per kwH at their fossil stations. That is
    - more than 3x my domestic cost for electricity (and I assume that a large business could and would negotiate for better)
    - enough to make driving an EV about as costly per mile as driving a modern fossil fuelled car, despite the fuel for the latter being massively taxed and the former having only 20% VAT at a non-domestic location (my car goes +/- 5 miles per unit in decent conditions, hence 10p per mile, hence equivalent to about 50mpg fossil at £5 per gallon)
    - therefore, robbery!
    and it is to be hoped that BP dont elect to follow suit with the entire ChargeMaster suite.

14. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I totally agree charging 50p a kwh is not viable. If we look what is currently happening

Shell was supposed to move up from its "Trial" rate of 25p to 50p this month, but have backed down and stayed at 25p "For the time being".

Instavolt are still on free trial yet again this month.

Engeine have been hopping around like a frog on a hot plate. Were free then went to £4 a session (1 Hour) then back to free, now back to £4 a session again with a note they will go to a 30p (Plus £1 Connection) sometime in July.

Polar seem to be moving more of the "Free" on subscription posts to the 10.8p Kwh rate, almost all of the the free rapids have gone now (This is based on the £7.65 a month subscription package), the Polar Rapids on instant access are insane at £1.20 Connection and £6 per 30mins

But at the Nottingham council event last week it was let slip that Polar/BP plan to charge 49p a kwh for its chargers on MSAs and Forecourts as they are "Convienence" locations and you are paying for the ease and convenience rather than the power.. In the same breath "Ultra Rapid" chargers were mentioned (150Kwh),

The main problem with Rapid chargers and costs to use for the big players is cost per unit and throughput.,

Lets say a Rapid charger and a Petrol pump cost about the same (Dont know but assume), (£25 to £30k Installed)

Most Rapid chargers in busy locations are getting about 10 to 12 hits at the very maximum each day and say the average pull is 30Kw

30 x 12 = 360 Kw.. at 20p a Kwh profit that pump is pulling a profit of £72 a day!!

Now look at petrol pumps at busy locations running 10 pulls an hour say 15 hours a day at 30 litres average

10 x 15 x 30 = 4500 Litres at 3p litre profit that pump is pulling a profit of £135 a day

The time to pay back investment on the rapid is double and profit per space is half, so I can see why the sites what the massive % hike is clear profit per charge,

To make it work and bring down the cost per charge there needs to be a secondary profit for the site, its very difficult at the moment,