Charged for tap water at a restaurant

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just thought i'd share an experience with (also googling it seems a lot of people also with the same complaint).

Before we start I know some people will think "omg why are you being rude/fussy its only £1" But to be honest we would of tipped more if they didn't try and charge us for free water... we ended up not tipping. .. Anyway...

Me and 7 friends went for a Chinese meal yesterday, when we arrived they were quick to take our orders for the drinks we required. Most people got a soft drink and a couple got tap water. Later on in the meal we all requested a glass of tap water.

Meal was fantastic.. but then we got the bill... £1 each for a glass of tap water, we were all quick to say "how can you charge for tap water" the manager then pointed to a small sign at the bar. The sign alone was a joke... wrote in red ink and looked like the pen had been running out... it was also at waist height... i was stood about 12-18" away and still couldn't read it, there was nothing in the menu and all the drink orders were taken at the table and wasnt told the price of tap water when we ordered it... how was we meant to see the sign?

To save the hassle we didnt bother taking it any further... the total for the tap water must of been £10-14.

After a bit of research i discovered legislation that had only been brought in this year (6th April 2010) It came into effect with the new "The Mandatory Code for Alcohol Retailers England and Wales" This law only applies to on-trade premises serving alcohol.

I've picked out the important bits here:

Who do these conditions apply to?
If you run or are responsible for an on-trade premises, such as a pub, hotel or bar, or if you run a
members club then all five conditions apply to you

From 6th April 2010, these conditions will:
• Ensure that customers have access to free tap water so that they can space out their drinks and
not get too intoxicated too quickly.

Condition 3. Free Tap Water for Customers
Many premises already offer free tap water. This condition means that all premises have to give
customers tap water for free if they ask for it. This helps people to space out their drinks and not
become intoxicated quickly, which reduces the risk of crime and disorder occurring.
The tap water you provide should be suitable for drinking and must be provided where reasonably
available.
What is meant by “reasonably available” is a question of fact; for example, it would not be
reasonable to expect free tap water to be available in premises for which the water supply had
temporarily been lost because of a broken mains supply.

If you want to take a read:
http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/as...nsing conditions - Home Office April 2010.pdf

I've read a lot of places refusing to serve tap water because of "health and safety".

Whats your experiences?

1. You say your party never drank any alcohol

Last edited:
Next time you go I would point this out this out to them. Also the fact that it was not clearly advertised or listed in the drinks menu sounds very suspect. I would certainly have refused to pay for tap water and would have made it clear I would not be eating there again.....

I don't think I'd have paid it, perhaps I'd have sucked it up if it was just one glass but £14 is ludicrous.

Deduct the water, give no tip, pay the rest and walk out, of course it's easier to be an arsey bugger from behind the keyboard than in person.

Not experienced this - have always been given free tap water on request. Was aware it was not a legal requirement to provide it (for free) - pleased to see it now is.

2. The Chinese are tight like that

Doesn't matter. It has to be offered, whether a person drinks alcohol or not.

The water was free. The glass was a quid. Seriously though, £10-£14 for water is taking the pee!!:eek:

£14 for tap water? That's more than my water bill is each month!!!

I'd have kicked off and tried some kung fu **** on that guy lol

You said that "Most people got a soft drink and a couple got tap water" then go on to say all got tap water later. Yet the legislation upon which you're going to be relying has more to do with stopping customers becoming inebriated and ultimately saving the lives of pedestrians and other drivers. Your designated driver would, I suspect, have been fine to get behind the wheel on a few glugs of 7-UP anyway. No ?

Mike.

2. The Chinese are tight like that
It clearly states "This condition means that all premises have to give
customers tap water for free if they ask for it." how do they know i hadn't had 4 alcoholic drinks before i entered the restaurant?

this argument has went on for years, but the basis of it is the water is free, but you are charged for the service. ie. waiter taking order, water poured and served, glass removed and later washed

one of the chinese buffets i sometimes go to has a water fountain with paper cups, so you could just pay your £7 for the buffet, order no drink and just use the water fountain. everyone else is usually stuffing their faces silly so wouldn't notice you being a cheapskate with your paper cup. i prefer to pay the £2 for a glass of diet coke (well, you don't want to get fat do you?) so i don't feel embarrassed the next time i visit

It clearly states "This condition means that all premises have to give
customers tap water for free if they ask for it." how do they know i hadn't had 4 alcoholic drinks before i entered the restaurant?

Or popped a few Es, which is also what free water is about.

this argument has went on for years, but the basis of it is the water is free, but you are charged for the service. ie. waiter taking order, water poured and served, glass removed and later washed

one of the chinese buffets i sometimes go to has a water fountain with paper cups, so you could just pay your £7 for the buffet, order no drink and just use the water fountain. everyone else is usually stuffing their faces silly so wouldn't notice you being a cheapskate with your paper cup. i prefer to pay the £2 for a glass of diet coke (well, you don't want to get fat do you?) so i don't feel embarrassed the next time i visit
I understand about the service costs, that's why i normally tip... but you could say that about requesting additional cutlery or even an additional plate to put my bones on... they wouldn't charge for them.

This is racial discrimination, i have to pay for the water that comes through my tap, about £300 per year, how come this chineses restaurant gets theirs for free;)

Had the same thing happen to me on Kings Cross station
one them coffee outlets on platform 9-11, i was with my American nephew who has to take regular tablets for a serious condition, he asked if they could just give him some water to take his tablets with, he said he only needed a mouthful and he had a little platic beaker with him for it.
They said sure, but it will cost you £1.80p (the same price as a coffee) and refused to budge on it.
So we refused and walked 10 yards to another outlet that sold soft drinks and rolls etc, they said sure have as much as you want for free.:smashin:

Like has been said earlier you are paying for a service and not necessarily the water, I think they are quite right to be doing so. Would you work for nothing?

Like has been said earlier you are paying for a service and not necessarily the water, I think they are quite right to be doing so. Would you work for nothing?
Of course not.. but by law they have to provide it as part of the service.. if the customer requests it.

I'm frankly amazed people drink tap water anywhere other than their own house.
Even at home I'll only drink water from a filtered source.
(American style fridge with filtered cold water dispenser).
The restaurants pipes/taps could be in horrible condition.:eek:
If I'm out, bottled water only.
Then both problems are solved.
I know the water's safe and I don't mind paying for it.:smashin:

When we go to Chinese restaurants, we always have tea. Rarely any alcohol at all.

Our local Peking restaurants all charge £1 - £1.50 per head for unlimited jasmine tea. Perfect with Chinese food, IMO.

I understand about the service costs, that's why i normally tip... but you could say that about requesting additional cutlery or even an additional plate to put my bones on... they wouldn't charge for them.

but in order to use cutlery you would usually have to have ordered some food. what's to stop someone coming in a pub or restaurant and sitting down and just ordering tap water if it's free? it's partly there to stop cheapskates. it doesn't help when places charge as much for soft drinks as a pint or half pint of lager, or in some cases it's cheaper to drink alcohol promotions than drink coke

Drink the finger bowl.

I'm frankly amazed people drink tap water anywhere other than their own house.
Even at home I'll only drink water from a filtered source.
(American style fridge with filtered cold water dispenser).
The restaurants pipes/taps could be in horrible condition.:eek:
If I'm out, bottled water only.
Then both problems are solved.
I know the water's safe and I don't mind paying for it.:smashin:
I'm amazed that people drink bottled water. It could have come from any rotting cesspit.

Or go to the gents and put your mouth over the tap.

An item you ordered through a waiter, prepared and bought to you, fit for human consumption, served, in a comfortable environment and insured.

£1 please.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom