Charged bizarre amount following change of Sky package

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Andy.T, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this but it got up my nose a little. I recently decided to get my Sky upgraded to Sky+ following progressive problems with channels disappearing and "no signal being received" messages. The actual upgrade was painless and trouble free and I'm now happily enjoying my Sky+, and once again able to receive the channels I actually subscribe to.

However...

A few days before getting Sky+ installed I upgraded my Sky package online to include movies - knowing that this would avoid paying extra for a Sky+ subscription.

My old monthly subscription amount was £24.50 or something and the new amount was going to be around £34. I was suprised to get a letter from Sky a day or so later stating that I would be changed £45 something for the first month. The letter went on to say, and I quote...

Huh?!

If I'm paying for some of the month at the old rate and some at the higher rate then the amount charged should be somewhere between the two, surely? The only way it could be more would be if I was paying part of the month at the old rate and all of the month at the higher rate. :mad:

I'm sure this is in tiny 1 point text somewhere on my Sky contract but I wondered if anyone knew Skys excuse for this or had ever successfully challenged it? I know Sky is a business and is out to make a profit for it's shareholders but this seems completely indefensible!

Angry from sussex,

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY subscriptions are paid in advance so it's not unusal when changing packages for a single month to be higher than you would expect as it combines X amount of days from the month you have already paid for PLUS the next month.
    There will also be charges for the time you were paying the extra £10 a month which would then change to the higher package (with movies) and the £10 being waived.

It does work out but any worries keep an eye on your bank account and the online account check to see exactly what you are paying.

3. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In simple terms, if you are paying roughly 24.50 per month and you decided to upgrade, because SKY take payments a month in advance, You will owe them the difference between 24.50 and 34.00 ie roughly 12.00 (probably depends on which part of the month you upgraded because the fee owed will differ). Your next bill will be for the new amount of 34.00 plus what you are due them for the remainder of that month you upgraded ie roughly 12.00, add these together and your up around the 45.00+ mark?

4. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In my experience they don't tend to get the upgrade/change over costs wrong. Although they are out to make a profit they don't tend to try it on for £10 here and there. Now if they can make £100 or £200 then that seems to be a different matter.

I am in the process of returning and my original enquirey in to the cost of Sky+ and 2 extra digi-boxes returned a quote of £477.00, OH, "and they would include installation in the price!" That was Sky+ box £149, 1st digi-box £229 (???), 2nd digi-box £99....??????????

Quote, "Because you are an existing customer you are not entitled to the subsidised prices, you've had them once before."

"I'm not an existing customer, I cancelled my contract with you over 2 years ago!"

"But your account is still on our system lying dorment. If you wish to come back to Sky we merely reactivate your account"

Blah, blah, blah............

You can't win!

The, "forget it then, I'll go cable!" doesn't work, they'll let you go these days.

After lots of toing and froing we agreed £149 + £99 and I got the 2nd extra box off ebay for £50.

And, it took over an hour and a half on the phone being passed from department to department!

These large companies (Sky, BT, Ntl, Orange, Vodaphone, etc, etc) are all a nightmare to deal with when it comes to "Customer Services," it's always a headache for the customer, in my opion.

I'll give it a couple of years, probably fallout with them again and go back to cable unless there's another option by then.

5. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you should of hung up and rang back later using your wifes name :)

6. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thought of that, but their system recogised the address and tied the two together :rolleyes:

I've given up trying it on :zonked:

Just need telly back. Gave ntl 30 days notice and they cut me off the following day :mad:

So now i'm stuck with the "famous five" :suicide:

The kids are driving me nuts :suicide: :suicide: