Charge your EV with spare solar power?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Stuart Wright, May 27, 2017.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,500
    An idea I had a while back. A good idea, I think.
    Other people will have had the same thought, but nobody, as far as I know, is doing it, yet.
    I wonder why not.

Electric Hyundai Ioniq owner's vlog #4:...

2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Surely if your plugged in during the day the car would be using solar power anyway? Not sure about night time other than using a power bank?

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,500
    Well it depends. With a background usage of about 1kW (running pond pumps, fridge freezers, computers etc.), if we put the (2kW) kettle on, then we'll be using more power than our solar panels will be producing (they are peaking at 3kW while the sun is so high). So at this point, if the car is charging even on a sunny day, we'll be drawing power from the grid and paying for it.
    What I'm suggesting is to vary the amount of power going to the car so that only the excess from the solar panels is being used. I.e. when the kettle isn't on. And when, on a cloudy day, the sun makes an appearance. So that instead of the excess power going to the grid, it's charging the car.
    This idea wouldn't, of course, work when the solar panels aren't producing any power at all, like at night.
    The Tesla Powerwall will be doing a similar thing, I'm sure. Only using excess solar power to charge up.

4. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Ok I see what your saying now.

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,519
    You can already buy the kit to dump excess solar power into an immersion heater circuit, so it wouldn't be difficult to send it to a dedicated car charging circuit. It wouldn't take a huge amount of work to integrate it into a Pod Point if the demand was there The only problem as I see it is at what point do you (or a "smart" box) decide there won't be enough solar energy generated on a particular day and switch back to the grid?. I suppose you could plug it in on say a Friday night with an instruction to charge with solar energy only over the weekend and then switch to the grid Sunday night to top it up if the car is needed on Monday.

Edit: just watched the video and I see you have my comments pretty much covered :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 28, 2017