1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charade on DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by njm32, Jan 10, 2002.

1. njm32

njm32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Being a fan of this film, (I have a 10 year old off-air VHS copy) I was delighted when I was offered a 'free' (£3 postage) DVD copy as part of my Tiscali subscription. My delight turned to disgust when I viewed the DVD, the 4:3 picture quality is average NTSC video (i.e. poor PAL), the sound is appalling, sounds as though it has been recorded with a carbon microphone and it is out of sync with the picture, also the first few minutes of the film are missing. The DVD to be avoided is distibuted by Prism Leisure. Back to my 10 year old VHS unless anyone knows if a decent copy of Charade (Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn) is available on DVD.
    Norman:(

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Funny I was listing to some soundtracks yesterday, and one was Charade, what an brilliant piece of music. I forgot how brilliantly Henry Mancini could write exiting music as well as the romantic stuff.
    By the way njm32 I will look round for the DVD.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Just found this on Amazon.
    Be warned: this DVD is of very poor quality, actually among the worst I've ever seen. Fortunately, if you can playback region one, there's a 'Criterion Collection' edition of this classic movie, which is of good quality. Buy that, and you'll be fine.
    Hope this of some help.

Just found this, http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=57

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
  5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah..Charade, one of the best films ever.
    You can pick up a R2 version for about a tenner in Virgin, HMV etc which has most, but I don't think all of the Criterion extras. It does have the commentary and documentary, I think. Don't know about quality, but it can't be worse than the one you have. I know, because I have it too. I think the criterion has just gone out of print, though, so it might be a good time to get it.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the criterion dvd is an excellent print, and the sound (being mono) is good - very clear dialogue. the first scene with the train is grainy, but cleans up completely with the opening credits, and from scene 2 (audrey squirted by toy pistol) is great; vivid colours, black blacks. only downside is the print is not anamorphic.
    bought it from dvdboxoffice.com over a year ago (if memory serves), who are now advertising at £28.61 - i'm sure i paid a lot less than that (in fact i wouldn't have bought it if it was that much, sure it was only £15 ish.)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By sheer coincidence, I picked up the British release in Forbidden Planet yesterday for the princely sum of 7.99. It's a great print, sounds like the criterion print, non-anormorphic but vivid and clear once the opening starts. Soundtrack seems to be stereo, the box says mono, but there is clearly 2 channels? Good selection of extras as well.

8. njm32

njm32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to all for your help!
    It looks as though the criterion version is the one to go for (at the right price - £28+ is a bit much for a non-anamorphic copy)
    Norman:)

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    By the way if you like Cary Grant have you got North By Northwest, I got it today, and I’ve just finished watching it, and the picture quality stunning.

10. PaulDCocker

PaulDCocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. njm32

njm32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The R2 version in the UK seems to be the Sanctuary edition - anyone got this one?. Play247 have it at £9.99 but they quote the aspect ratio of 1.66:1.
    More research on the web has revealed that the film was put in the public domain soon after it was released (due, apparently, to an error at Universal) and many poor quality copies are in circulation.