1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapters and rate conversion dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlbaMeccanica, May 30, 2005.

1. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to create chapters when using rate conversion dubbing with my Toshiba RD-XS34?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  3. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Mark. :)

That's what I'd like to know also. Does this go for Panasonic models, for example? :confused:

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm pretty sure they all work the same way.
    Mark

5. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So there's basically no way even with the CHP create function to create chapters automatically every five minutes? I'm asking because lately I'm having lots of HDD reading errors when dubbing, which doesn't happen when using rate conversion. :confused:

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    That's a different question. You can create automatic chapters (e.g. every 5 minutes) - using "auto chapter create". What you can't do is retain the chapter points you have in the source video when you do a rate conversion dub.

Mark

7. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I wanted to know: so, I just have to activate this option in the setup menu before a rate conversion dubbing to dvd?

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Hmm... now I think I see what you are wanting to do, and I don't think you can.

What you can do is automatically add chapters to any recording on your HDD. If you did a rate conversion dub from HDD to HDD, the "new" converted recording would lose the chapter points from the original, but you could add automatic chapters afterwards (doesn't have to be done as part of the dub).

But I think maybe you want to do a rate conversion dub from HDD to DVD-Video. In this case I don't think you can set chapter points on the DVD-Video after dubbing (you could if you dubbed it to DVD-RAM). I've never tried to do this, but I don't see any way to create automatic chapters as part of the dubbing process itself.

Mark

9. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's terrible to hear: I'm throwing many discs directly to the garbage using high speed because of HDD reading errors and I really don't know what to do. Guess it has to do with fragmentation, but my HDD is only 2 weeks old... :rolleyes: It's absurd to me that you can't create chapters automatically as if you were recording directly to dvd. :mad:

10. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy to be corrected but AFAIK all recorders perform the same in this regard. Even though I'm not technically minded, it kind of makes sense to me that after any resampling or compression, it would be a tall order to retain preexisting marks.

Why don't you just rate convert HDD to HDD and then auto chapter the new dub before dropping it onto DVD?

I would have thought that your biggest concern should be the fact that your 2 week old recorder is throwing up HDD errors. It sounds very unlikely that fragmentation would cause such errors at all, never mind after only 2 weeks on a 160gb disc. I'd get onto Toshiba.

11. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact is that my Tosh doesn't have support from Toshiba in Italy (I bought it from Pixmania, so I should send it back to France and wait, wait, wait...). Anyway, the CHP create setting seemed to disappear after I had finished writing to dvd; I tried to check it right before dubbing a 12 minute playlist, just to see what happened, and apparently I got my 5 minute chapters and the setting on after recording. At this point I'll have to look into it a bit further... :rolleyes: