1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter breaks/scene access

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by juboy, Apr 18, 2002.

1. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As David Lynch has released Mulholland Drive without any chapters or scene access breaks, I just wondered what people think about this facility (or lack of it).

Does anyone really consider this facility an added value 'special feature'? Does it really allow you much more control than simply hitting the FF button?

In my experience, most chapter breaks don't start at the point you're specifically trying to access and so you still end up having to use the forward and reverse search buttons to get to where you want.

Also, I quite like Lynch's idea that some films are intended to be watched in their entirety. Sure, once you own the DVD you are in control of stopping it for beer/food/bathroom/telephone breaks but at least he's making a point.

Personally I believe one of the major plus points the cinema still retains over Home Theatre is that, generally, you sit there and watch the whole film without stops and breaks. Hitting the pause button during a movie just kills it for me.

2. Stephen Kinsey

Stephen Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to be honest, the only time I ever really use the chapters is when I'm listening to a Music DVD. So for the majority of disks, I certainly wouldn't miss them.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have. It's called indexing.

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sometimes use the chapter facility to get back to the part of the film I was watching before I pressed the wrong button on my remote and made the film start again.