1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channels slowly disappearing...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bernard Woodruf, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Bernard Woodruf

Bernard Woodruf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Sky digital without any problems for a couple of years. However, over the past 2 or 3 months, channels are disappearing (No satellite signal is being received). Nothing has changed in the setup as far as I can see. For the moment, I have lost all movies, sports and several in the Entertainment category. But, Signal Strength is around 90% and quality at around 70 - 75% which is the best it has been for a long time. I am not living in the UK, so don't particularly want to contact Sky for this. Anyone any ideas?

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Where are you Bernard? Receiver? Dish size? LNB?

A. Dork

3. Bernard Woodruf

Bernard Woodruf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in Belgium, just south of Brussels, so this shouldn't be a problem (I've had Sky working here for several years). The receiver is a Panasonic TU-DSB31, the dish is a standard small one and I'm afraid I have no idea about the LNB - sorry!

4. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem. I did notice however, certain channels always had a strong signal, such as sky sports news and channel 5. If i switched from these channels to a weaker signalled channel, such as ITV or BBC1, then these would work fine. If i went straight to these 'weaker' channels i'd always get the "no signal is being received" message.

I had Sky+ recently installed, new LNB fitted (the thing in the middle of the dish that converts satellite signals). This has solved the problem. All channels are received perfectly and signal is much stronger. They cost around £20 on ebay and apparently they are very easy to install yourself.

5. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I had a very similar problem on my sky installation and a new LNB solved it.
    Fitted in about 5 minutes.
    If you do decide to give a new LNB a try don't forget to buy the self amalgamating tape to seal the connection when you screw in the new coax lead.

-Neil

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Bernard - Neil's right, if you're using a standard Sky dish then the LNB is the most likely cause. As I've said several times before, probably a 'Cambridge' LNB. A new one's less than £20 if you look around. Easy DIY job if you can get to the dish.

Check 2 channels 504 & 507. Which one's missing?

A. Dork

7. Bernard Woodruf

Bernard Woodruf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great news - thanks! 504 is OK, 507 gives the "No satellite signal being received" message.

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Bernard - Cambridge LNB again! :)

A new one will cure the fault.

Cheers :beer:

A. Dork

9. Bernard Woodruf

Bernard Woodruf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - just to let you know - new Sharp LNB fitted this morning and all channels successfull restored. And the old LNB... was a Cambridge.

Thanks a million for your help and all the best for 2005.

B.